Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Food hygiene  (Read 2237 times)

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
Food hygiene
« on: June 01, 2016, 09:18:44 am »
Hi,

I've recently brought my first small holding.

I was interested in doing some food hygiene certifications as I plan on processing my own meat. Mainly to sell to friends and family, and whilst I believe if it's just for friends and family no certification is required, but it's something I would like to follow.

There are so many online courses so I wondered if anyone had any advice on choosing the right one. I'd like someth No that is industry recognised, and in terms of hygiene, processing and cooking etc.

Thanks
Denis

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Food hygiene
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 10:05:25 am »
I just picked one from the Internet for the basic level 2 I think that most of them have to conform to a national standard. I would then contact Environmental Health for guidance.  I always find it better in the long run to get them on your side from the start

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 11:41:42 am »
If you intend to process even for family and friends you need to inform environmental health ...
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 11:02:32 pm »
thanks

i gave my local environmental health office a call early and they said they don't deal with that anymore and its all done through Defra.

Will take a look at an online course for the hygiene side anyway - for £15 i think its' worth it :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS