Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: becoming licenced for feeding milk?????  (Read 6536 times)

gracy

• Joined Jun 2014
becoming licenced for feeding milk?????
« on: June 01, 2016, 08:09:15 am »
Hi I have pigs on pasture I try to suplement their grazing with a barley mineral mix (bought in from a local farmer who is licenced to mix feed) as I am concerned about lysazine etc. but the buggers only eat about 100g a day!

They are grading well so just fussy. I was thinking of offering milk but I know that you need to be licenced for that. Has anyone here been through the process (in scotland) and can you tell me what is required to become licenced to feed milk???
I don't want to start something I cant finish.....
Ta

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: becoming licenced for feeding milk?????
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 08:25:10 am »
As far as I'm aware, you can only feed milk produced on the same holding, we have goats and feed some excess milk to pigs from our own holding. I may be wrong, I haven't delved deeper as I have milk production on my own holding.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 09:05:07 am »
wouldnt barley and whey be a better option? They pile the growth and weight on with that. Also cheesemakers want to give it away because of the vast amounts of it, so it might be better in the long run and the pigs love it! :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

gracy

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 09:47:35 am »
Yes if your giving milk off your holding you don't need a licence but i don't have any dairy animals
in scotland you can feed
"milk, milk products and white water when suitably treated"
providing
"anyone obtaining the above to feed their pigs would need to be registered for this purpose unless the milk product contained less than 80% milk. please contact your local Animal Health office."

Basicaly I could in theory feed the piggies on pasturised milk bought from mr tescos as long as it was in date. (And I was registered)

Oh it would be nice to have free whey but i live 200 miles away from my nearest dairy! 

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 09:57:20 am »
If your pigs are grading well why would you change your feeding regime? What sort of pigs do you have and what weights are you killing at. Milk and milk products make your meat pale and I think it also smells of milk if you feed too much. You would need somewhere cold to store in this weather. Barley generally lays down fat but if you are mainly giving them grass then I would think they will be lean.

gracy

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 10:18:42 am »
I've just been getting a lot of flack recently about the pigs not getting a balanced meal. And now I'm worrying. I chose Barley as it has more lysasine than oats and wheet doesn't grow up here so v expensine (Barley = £35 per 1/4 tone   Wheet =£9/20kg ! ) I keep being told to put them on milk for the amino acids but then again these are also the farmers that stopped keeping pigs when "the red tape became to much". If these weren't my first pigs I'd happily tell them times have changed etc but..... 

They are Large Blacks x GOC x Duroc and I'm aiming at no more than 95kg (abattoir charges extra for big hogs) will kill them at 6 months and find out how big they got. :pig:

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 10:22:53 am »
If it's a licence, it may be like the licence for animal by products (eg. Sheep skins) which was a simple form, they check where you will keep them and that you are keeping the right paperwork.
Probably easiest to give the animal health office a ring and they'll be able to tell you exactly what would be required.
It sounds like if they're healthy and growing well, the diet can't be that bad!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 11:03:03 am »
btw, pigs will slurp up milk even if it has gone off, as long as it is raw and simply gone sour.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 11:20:40 am »
commercial farmers wouldnt be used to traditional breeds but do have a wealth of experience.
have you considered pignuts? takes the worry away.
once you see the butchered meat, you will learn heaps.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 11:53:11 am »
What did you mean by "grading well" if you haven't took any in yet? How old are they now? Pigs wouldn't get all they needed from grass. In the wild they would eat meat too. If your barley has minerals added then can you ask what minerals and amounts. Does the farmer mix differently for different animals? You could add a mineral or something like seaweed. If you think they look OK and are growing then I wouldn't worry. The biggest mistake people make is to fatten their pigs when they should be thinking finished.

Goatherd

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 12:22:05 pm »
I have a lot of whey from the goats cheese and waste milk from the cows and the goats First milk ect
and have been told by animal health not to feed it to the pigs its not worth all the paper work

gracy

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 01:18:25 pm »
Thanks everybody. Pigs don't eat enough solid food (ie what I put out) to be worth buying in pig nuts (£11/20kg).  They original idea was to range them to keep them trim (both my husband and I cant stand fatty meat) Didn't realise how much grazing would impact on food intake though, we were expecting 80%pig food 20% grazing but its the other way around. (not that I'm complaining just concerned)

They are 4 months now and by grading I mean 3 on the newcastle scale (firm pressure with flat of hand required before bones felt) number 4 (firm presure with fingertips required) is obese and 2 (bones felt with light presure) is underweight.

yes he does one mix for cows and another for pigs. He suplies beef for tescos finest range so i am confident he knows what he is doing.  It was the fact that i seem to be throwing so much away i was woried they arnt geting enough in. I used to put out 1kg per pig I am now down to 300g per pig and still most of it is left. they have seperate buckets and i watch they closely at feading no-one misses out they just seem to get bored after 7 minuets and go back to roaming, i have even left the buckets out all day and the next morning they were still half full. I wormed them incase that was the problem but no change.

just lately I have found small bones in their poo and more than once these past few weeks I have seen one or the other being mobbed by birds maybe they have been snacking on frogs and chicks.... :yum:

think looking at these posts I'll give the milk a miss thanks everybody

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 02:23:32 pm »
Pigs don't eat enough solid food (ie what I put out) to be worth buying in pig nuts (£11/20kg).  They original idea was to range them to keep them trim (both my husband and I cant stand fatty meat) Didn't realise how much grazing would impact on food intake though, we were expecting 80%pig food 20% grazing but its the other way around. (not that I'm complaining just concerned)

I am surprised that they don't eat up the feed as I wouldn't expect them to be satisfied on grass but if they are doing fine then they must be.  I would expect that no matter how much grass they ate they would still eat up their hard feed. It would be interesting to see if they ate up pig nuts. I would be really interested to know if you can get them to 95 kilo's by six months.

gracy

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 05:38:25 pm »
Will let you know how it goes if its any guide they were about 30 kg when we wormed them last week. Don't know if that's good or bad for 4 months???

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 09:55:21 am »
I would say that they are on the small side and certainly not going to get to 95 kilo's by six months if that is when you want to send them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS