Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Normal udder size in heifer  (Read 1867 times)

ferdi

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Devon
Normal udder size in heifer
« on: May 31, 2016, 10:07:48 pm »
Hi thereWas hoping for some help from those of you who know your cows,Last November I bought two lovely Kerry Heifers sold to me as not in calf.They were two years old in April and I was just thinking of putting them to a bull, but in the last month both their udders have grown considerably in size. Hopefully I have attached a photo, could someone tell me if a maiden heifer would have an udder like this or should I be expecting a calf in the coming weeks.Much thanks for any helpFerdi
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:10:07 pm by ferdi »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Normal udder size in heifers
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 10:15:17 pm »
If it's all 4 quarters, I'd say she's bagging up.

If you bought through a livestock auction, you should be entitled to compensation.  However, dairy types often do calve quite happily at 2 years old, or shortly after, so hopefully she won't be adversely affected by being a young mother.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Normal udder size in heifer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 10:29:24 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much, many of ours take ages and then suddenly their bag is huge overnight. How long has got to go? Would be best to keep an eye on her and babi when born though if no improvements
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

ferdi

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 10:38:42 pm »
Thanks for your reply Sally. I bought the two of them privately, delivered all the way from Scotland to me iin Devon. and to tell the truth I would be quite pleased if they are in calf as trying to find a bull locally was proving problematic
Both of them are showing udder growth and I did think that Virgin heifers  would not show so much. I had thought they were fat on new grass, but it must be more than that !!
Water buffalo farmer, thing is I don't know when they are due , as far as I knew they weren't in calf. But it's good to get feed back from you all that this udder size is a good indication they are
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:46:38 pm by ferdi »

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 11:07:01 pm »
Might be worth getting the vet to do a pd, they may be able to give you an idea as to when they may calve and allow you to be prepared. If they've been fed well as growing animals not expected to be in calf, they may need extra care as could need assistance calving.
Hope it all works out for you

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS