Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: working dogs  (Read 6186 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: working dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 12:55:04 pm »
So what is the father? 
A 'blue terrier' what the hell is that? 
Kerry Blue or Bedlington - they're sometimes classed as blue; or a cross?  In which case these are mongrels - £500 each?

If he brought it in from the States I doubt if there are many others!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 01:03:20 pm »
ahhhh this is it.
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=catahoula+dogs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catahoula_Cur
I wanted a canaan dog once but discovered they where basically mongrels made into pedigrees, but then a lot of dog breeds probably where at one time mongrels and just hybridized a bit. There are however a lot which have been bred that way for hundreds of years, it really depends which one you buy I suppose.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 01:29:02 pm »
is leopard the colour?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 01:53:45 pm »
She's very  attractive but you wonder why she's being sold.  Wiki says that these dogs need thorough training as they are assertive.  Presumably the one advertised has behavioural problems. Mongrel or purebred, registered or not is no guarantee of the quality of the dog - each would need to be examined individually.

Are you thinking of acquiring her WBF?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 03:08:25 pm »
No, but I was intrigued by the looks. I think if I go for a big dog it would be a Bernese mountain dog or a huntaway, biggish they are, this is my favourite dog of them all though
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucovina_Shepherd_Dog

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 03:47:35 pm »
theres a BMD in our village, it isn't really that big. not as big as a st Bernard.
saying that, my beardie is v small so I guess they vary.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 04:19:12 pm »
same here, is she a working beardie?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 05:36:32 pm »
She's very  attractive but you wonder why she's being sold.  Wiki says that these dogs need thorough training as they are assertive.  Presumably the one advertised has behavioural problems. Mongrel or purebred, registered or not is no guarantee of the quality of the dog - each would need to be examined individually.

Are you thinking of acquiring her WBF?
Is she being sold as well as the pups? I didn't realise that
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 07:30:08 pm »
She's very  attractive but you wonder why she's being sold.  Wiki says that these dogs need thorough training as they are assertive. 

Ah, "assertive", eh?  Hmm.....

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 09:54:15 pm »
I know someone with one - its a big dog - not great dane size but big setter size, very strong on the lead and surprisingly "assertive" even as a puppy. Freaky eyes too! Not for beginner dog people I think!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 07:23:24 pm »
I found another breed the scotch collie has anyone had any experience with this breed? This is according to wiki and apparently it is an ancient breed of dog used for working
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_Collie
What I would like to know is 1 are there any breeders of them, namely as working animals, in the UK?
and 2 how much would I be expecting to pay for a pup?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 08:53:44 pm »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 10:23:05 pm »
Ah, Shelties  :love: my dad had one called laddie (a boy, funnily enough  ;)) never worked a day in his life, but did travel round all the local farms visiting  :innocent:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 10:57:07 pm »
The bitch has a look of what I would call a Blue Merle. When you consider the cost of a pedigree puppy then if these are so rare £500 seems cheap. Two words spring to mind BUYER BEWARE!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS