Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jacob ram's scrotum  (Read 1693 times)

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
Jacob ram's scrotum
« on: May 31, 2016, 07:45:26 am »
My Shearling Jacob ram's bag has become bright pink at the bottom. Prior to this change, the skin there was thickened, coarse and heavily keratinised. That seems to have come off, leaving this smooth, healthier looking surface.
Is this just normal wear and tear? Thanks.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Jacob ram's scrotum
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 11:18:51 am »
Unfortunately the pic is too out of focus to see well.  It looks as if where the skin is fresher has caught the sun.  If you decide to rub in some sun block, then I advise doing it behind a hedge where no-one can see  :innocent:

There may be another cause and I'm sure there will be other advice.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 06:46:15 pm »
Two of my rams got thickened coarse skin on the underside of their scrotums (scroti?) Took the shearling in the back of the Landy to the vet (didn't fancy trying this with the full grown ram). The vet said it was caused by the wet weather last winter and was a bit like you or I staying in a hot bath for too long. I asked if I should rub E45 cream on his scrotum.  The vet said I could, the ram would probably enjoy it, but no action was really necessary.

Regards, Dave

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 08:05:42 am »
Thanks for those comments. Thank goodness the 'do nothing' option is available in this case. The constant exposure to wet grass when laying down would certainly fit.
(Since you mention it daveh, if at all, it would be 'scrota')

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS