Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sweeten the meat  (Read 3108 times)

Abdnpete

• Joined May 2016
Sweeten the meat
« on: May 31, 2016, 05:12:13 am »
Hello everyone,
Thank you for letting us join the forum. We am planning to start a small pig farm in the Philippines from land that my wife has inherited, We will be using this forum a lot to get us started. Our first question is In the Philippines pigs from Cebu are more expensive because of there sweet meat, we would like to replicate them in Manila but the Cebu farmers are all tight lipped how they do this. Does anyone know how they do it, I though may be sweetcorn butwould it work?

Thanks
Pete & Marissa

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Sweeten the meat
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 01:50:58 pm »
It's not the way the pig is raised - it's the way it's cooked.
The philippino speciality pork dish is "lechon" which means suckling pig. The lechon produced in Cebu is the very best flavoured of all and is sent all over the world. :yum:   But the closely guarded secret is in the herbs and spices that the meat is cooked in.

I find it highly unlikely that this secret, guarded for years in the Philippines, has been exclusively divulged to the  members of this forum.   :sunshine:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 03:12:18 pm »
It's not the way the pig is raised - it's the way it's cooked.
The philippino speciality pork dish is "lechon" which means suckling pig. The lechon produced in Cebu is the very best flavoured of all and is sent all over the world. :yum:   But the closely guarded secret is in the herbs and spices that the meat is cooked in.

I find it highly unlikely that this secret, guarded for years in the Philippines, has been exclusively divulged to the  members of this forum.   :sunshine:
If only..... if only..... :roflanim: I would try some chefs which deal with pork philipino cooked style and they might know variations of it which is similar to the origional.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 03:50:59 pm »
what is grown in phillipines? maybe its a by-product,ie sugar or something.
food does affect meat, look at veal or heather honey etc

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 07:32:58 pm »
Cooked with some pineapple ....?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 07:48:59 pm »
 I rather think that such a closely guarded secret, that no one else has been able to even get close to, is likely to be something a bit more subtle than sugar, honey, or pineapple. :thinking:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 08:07:47 pm »
I've found a lechon recipe - worth a go? http://www.filipinofoodrecipes.org/lechon-belly-ala-lechon-cebu-recipe Looks like evaporated milk is the secret...? :fc:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:09:37 pm by silkwoodzwartbles »

Abdnpete

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 02:25:08 am »
That could be it my mother in law cooks a whole pig on a spit roast on a special event, the bit about stuffing the bellycould be the give a away, well no cebu pigs for me thanks for the input

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 08:17:19 am »
Some of the flavour must be down to breed as well, I have noticed our kune kune pork has a sweet taste that I have never known in other pork.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS