Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cover for coop entrance?  (Read 2419 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Cover for coop entrance?
« on: May 30, 2016, 12:47:08 am »
I'm sure I've read about covers for the entrances to chicken coops, I think it was in relation to stopping wild birds coming in. Problem is I can only remember the idea and not the details (i.e. materials, does it need to be cut into strips). My google searches are failing me too.

My issue is that I'm having some nest box issues and we placed a new nest box in the coop (converted shed) but it is opposite the entrance and I think that is putting them off (lack of privacy).

I was wondering if I could use an old pillow case or sheet over the pop-hole to give them privacy. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Blondie

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Cover for coop entrance?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 06:49:29 am »
I use to have a old curtain placed over the coop which hung down creating a much smaller hole for them to get through. The quickly learnt but I don't think they would have pushed through something. This was done for warmth I the winter and not to lock light but principle is the same

Could you put more nest boxes in and in different locations around the shed? That way they have more choice and should select one to go in.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 07:35:46 pm »
I use clear plastic warehouse strips- the chickens are heavy enough to push through.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 08:52:11 pm »
What about a roofing sheet above the entrance, it will cast some shade and protect the entrance from rain.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 09:36:39 pm »
Where could I get warehouse strips from? I take it something like a pillowcase wouldn't work.

I think I've arranged the house badly as there's not really another spot for it.

On the upside one of the chickens has started using the external nest box and one has started the using the one opposite the pop hole. 

I'll have a look at putting a roof over the pop hole.

Thanks guys

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

william_wt

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 11:34:20 pm »
When I had crows helping themselves to eggs, I nailed a plastic bag to the top of the door and cut it into strips from the bottom. The chickens weren't bothered by it but the crows didn't steal any more eggs. A similar setup to stop the crows eating the pellets helped a bit, but not completely.
William

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS