Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goaty after taste in milk  (Read 6077 times)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Goaty after taste in milk
« on: May 29, 2016, 12:20:05 pm »
Any ideas how to get rid of the nasty after taste in our milk?
At the minute the lambs are having it but soon we'll be wanting to use it and I can't get rid of the after taste.
I gave her a multi vit drench I have for the sheep two days ago and it's still goaty..
Do you think I jab of combivit would help? Or something else?

Thanks

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
Re: Goaty after taste in milk
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 12:57:59 pm »
What about feed? I was told that goats milk tastes goaty either due to hygiene, I am not saying yours is bad at all I am sure it is very good this is just what I was told, or due to type of feed during milking or feed they get as supplementary. http://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/general/tips-troubleshooting-better-tasting-goat-milk/
Here is something which may be useful :)
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 01:37:31 pm »
Cobalt deficiency can leave a goaty taste, as can general imbalance in diet.
Might be worth checking what you are feeding with a vet or nutritionist.
Also worth checking her for subclinical mastitis as bacteria in the milk don't always show heat, lumps or pain but can make the milk taste off.
Blood samples can check for deficiencies or you can bolus with something like the cosecure boluses that provide cobalt, copper and selenium.
Are you feeding them minerals or licks alongside their feed?

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 01:43:57 pm »
Goat's milk shouldn't have a goaty taste. Possible reasons - hygiene, rough handling of milk, something the goats eaten, vit/min deficency for example being low in cobalt can result in goaty taste.( milking goats need 4 times the amount of cobalt that sheep need.) Lot's of brassicas cause milk taint while carrots produce sweet milk.
Check is there small clots like cottage cheese in the milk -starting of sub clinical mastitis, Be extra clean by using udder wipe, teat dip and cetrimide udder cream can all help. Is your drench a copper/cobalt drench used,  It might be worth contacting your vet to blood test for deficiency's or if early mastitis is starting.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 06:11:09 pm »
She has beef nuts, sugar beet shreds and a handful of Alpha A. Red rockie lick in pen and access to acres of grazing. Defo no mastitis.
Milk is filtered and goes straight into back of fridge or freezer to chill. It's very and creamy, just has an after kick...

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 10:41:08 pm »
Most likely cobalt deficiency then, the rest sounds great, but there is no added minerals, so either would be best to get your vet to test for deficiencies and/or add in goat minerals such as caprivite or premium goat balancer, and/or cosecure bolus.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 08:34:24 am »
Thanks, will look at getting a supplement  :thumbsup:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 08:50:44 am »
Ordered some Caprivite so  :fc: it works

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 10:23:04 pm »
She has beef nuts, sugar beet shreds and a handful of Alpha A. Red rockie lick in pen and access to acres of grazing. Defo no mastitis.
Milk is filtered and goes straight into back of fridge or freezer to chill. It's very and creamy, just has an after kick...

I used to find that fast chilling of milk was essential. If for some reason it was delayed then the milk did taste "goaty". I had Anglo Nubians and normally the milk had no after taste at all.
I notice you mention putting milk in the fridge or freezer to chill. The fastest way to chill is by cold running water. I used to put my stainless steel milking bucket into a sink of cold water and chill it that way even before filtering.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 10:50:01 pm »
Was wondering a similar thing about one of my goats. She is a first time kidder and her milk is just not very nice. She gets fed the same as all the others including caprivite although I jul be a little more religious about giving it. Her milk has an almost metallic taste. In no way the nice creamy taste the others give. Bless her she milks gallons as well as feeding her own kid but at the moment I am using all her milk to feed the cades. Would be lovely if I could find a way of making her milk drink able.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 11:46:44 pm »
Ordered some Caprivite so  :fc: it works

It works well for my girls although they do have a mineral lick as well.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 11:06:39 am »
Been meaning to order some caprivite, thanks for the reminder ?
Have a good sniff at milk containers, i thought I was washing mine well till I stuck my nose in, i used to chill milk by putting it straight in freezer, but was concerned at effect of warm stuff going in freezer, i now have some of these blue freezer blocks you put in cool boxes, stand the milk container in bucket of cold water and put the freezer blocks in the water, works well.
I also remember reading of someone putting freezer blocks in bottom of milking bucket, would have to sterilised though?

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 09:15:01 pm »
Been meaning to order some caprivite, thanks for the reminder ?
Have a good sniff at milk containers, i thought I was washing mine well till I stuck my nose in, i used to chill milk by putting it straight in freezer, but was concerned at effect of warm stuff going in freezer, i now have some of these blue freezer blocks you put in cool boxes, stand the milk container in bucket of cold water and put the freezer blocks in the water, works well.
I also remember reading of someone putting freezer blocks in bottom of milking bucket, would have to sterilised though?
another tip would be to hypochlorite spray them before use and rinse em out and wipe them with kitchen roll to kill off any bacteria left in after washing. Never put it in with the spray still in or wiped but not rinsed as this can seperate milk during freezing resulting in very bitty milk. I hope you can get this problem away. Could the goats be cycling at all and would this effect it?
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 09:31:14 pm »
The other goat I milked always had delicious milk so pretty sure it's a deficiency in this one. Will have another taste test tomorrow which will be day 4 of Caprivite.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 06:20:20 am »
I think it's more likely to be something with the goat than the treatment of the milk.

I milk into a stainless steel bucket, strain through muslin into  plastic bottles, put in the fridge, wash bucket, cloth, funnel and bottles in really hot soapy water, rinse and drain dry.
After milking I leave the bucket of milk on the side in the feed shed while I finish feeding the rest of the goats, bottle lambs and pigs maybe 15 minutes.
No faffing with cooling extra fast, disinfecting etc etc and the milk is always really lovely

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS