Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame Lamb and possible faecal problem  (Read 3218 times)

Skye Byrd

• Joined May 2015
  • Skye, Scotland
Lame Lamb and possible faecal problem
« on: May 29, 2016, 11:14:42 am »
One of our lambs is lame on it's front legs, looks like it's hurt part of it's left fore leg. I'm waiting on a neighbour to get back to me regarding analgesia/anti-inflamatory so hopefully that will help it out. If not we will take it to vet tomorrow.

I noticed that it's faeces doesn't look right, very small purlies with a watery frothy covering (a bit like sputum) on them, is this a sign of constipation? I don't think the lamb has fed since we brought it in last night so could this be causing this?

If the lamb is not feeding, would I be better to give some tube feeds? If so, what quantity and how often? The wee fella is 5 weeks old.
1 Dog (Border Terrier)
2 Cats
1 Turkey (Norfolk Black)
50 Chickens (Assorted pure and hybrids)
35 Sheep (Scottish Blackface)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Lame Lamb and possible faecal problem
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 11:25:20 am »
Is the lame leg hot at the joints, look between the toes too incase of scald.  Does the lamb take a bottle, try you may find it will take it with gusto, or make up an electrolyte solution , the are many on line. You do need to see vet very soon for antibiotics if it is joint ill , hot swollen joints, check navel.   The poo imho says the lamb needs more roughage, offer some lovely soft hay and get some low lying water for him to drink to if he can't reach waterer.  Perhaps his mum has dumped him, we have a few that have ended up as mollies like this and they have taken on the role with gusto. Hope he ll be ok x
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 11:28:20 am by Hellybee »

Skye Byrd

• Joined May 2015
  • Skye, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 11:37:37 am »
Checked joints - no sign of swelling or heat. Good solid movement in the joints when I examined them. I've checked the hooves, no reddness inbetween and no sign of any damage. Naval also clean as are the tail and the scrotum (both ringed).

Mother is beside him, standing over but he's not able to get up for feed. Will try bottle feed just now - what quantity and how often?

Thanks for your quick response Hellybee, much appreciated.

1 Dog (Border Terrier)
2 Cats
1 Turkey (Norfolk Black)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 11:52:33 am »
Did the ewes have a vaccination booster 4 weeks before lambing?  The faeces you describe could be down to lamb dysentery   I first would suspect joint ill when lambs display any stiffness or reluctance to rise - the heat or swelling seen with an injury is often not apparent if this is the problem.  I recommend consulting a vet but I fear the the long term outlook is poor.

Skye Byrd

• Joined May 2015
  • Skye, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 12:14:18 pm »
Hay and extra water in penned arrea. Have managed to feed 200ml lamlac by bottle but it's fighting against us when it's mother is calling out for it.

My neighbour is an ex-vet so hoping he calls back shortly.

Nobody vaccinates the sheep here so no they havn't had a booster.

1 Dog (Border Terrier)
2 Cats
1 Turkey (Norfolk Black)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 12:47:49 pm »
 The west coast of Scotland , 5wk old lamb lame  I would suspect tick bites especially if no obvious joint ill or scald , needs AB,S whatever is wrong . The poo sounds like dehydration due to not suckling try the pinch test , pinch a large lump of skin on its back if hydrated will spring back ,if dehydrated will stay pinched and needs fluids .          If you had LAMB DYSENTRY you would REALLY  know, LAMBS  a few days old with blood stained scours and DEATHS !!

Skye Byrd

• Joined May 2015
  • Skye, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 01:23:35 pm »
Neighbour phoned back and said most likely  joint ill, antibiotics given.

Had a good look for ticks, can't find any but it's not to say they hadn't been there.

Pinched skin a bit slower to go back so will continue with fluids, electrolytes given.

1 Dog (Border Terrier)
2 Cats
1 Turkey (Norfolk Black)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 01:49:16 pm »
Ask the vet about Bose perhaps the lamb has delayed white muscle ?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 05:53:00 pm »
Can you not catch the mother sit her on her bottom and then the lamb can suckle lying down , sometimes a lamb can suckle lying down if you pin the mother against a wall or gate so she remains still

Skye Byrd

• Joined May 2015
  • Skye, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 11:48:37 am »
Wee lamb started to go downhill so made the decission last night to have him PTS.

Ewe distraught and has been looking for her lamb all morning, hope she dries up without any problems.

Thank-you all for your much valued advice, it's really appreciated.  :)
1 Dog (Border Terrier)
2 Cats
1 Turkey (Norfolk Black)

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 05:37:31 pm »
So sorry to hear this :(

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 07:06:55 pm »
I'd first suspect joint ill and lamb dysentery.  Speak to your vet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS