Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Over weight ewes.  (Read 2729 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Over weight ewes.
« on: May 29, 2016, 10:42:04 am »
Just had my 4 pet sheep sheared. I knew they were a bit on the plump side but didn't realise how fat they were! What's the best way to slim them down - they're 6 years old and don't have lambs. Thank you!????
4 pet sheep

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Over weight ewes.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 11:55:11 am »
Put them on poor grazing with no other feed.  It is, however, incredibly difficult to get condition off a ewe that's not lambed and often difficult to get an over-condition ewe in lamb.  Twins every year is the best solution for a svelte ovine figure.

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 01:02:30 pm »
agree with [member=27063]Marches Farmer[/member]  poor grazing is the best option and yes you should see some of my ewes with twins, they put it all into the bag and sometimes I need to feed them extra, although with all this grass they're looking good. Have they been bred before at all and if so how long since the last time?
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 01:47:22 pm »
Thanks for the replies. They've never had lambs and certainly won't be now! Poor grazing is the problem, the field they're in is really lush and needs to be continually cut to keep it down, but it just hasn't stopped growing. I was hoping they'd lose some condition over the winter but with it being mild the grass just kept on growing and so did they! They don't have any other feed apart from a few odd cabbage leaves. I think I'll just have to fence off a very small area and try that. The only drawback is it'll get covered in droppings, so I'll be out poo picking no doubt!
4 pet sheep

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 04:28:10 pm »
Sounds like you need to grow the flock :innocent:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 05:08:10 pm »
When I was in New Zealand earlier in the year I noticed that they strip graze their animals (not just sheep) until the earth is just about bare.

They are on quite small patches before they move on.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 06:02:26 pm »
Called Rotational Grazing  , very heavily stocked area for  1 to 7 days then move on to the next

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 10:45:46 pm »
They don't have any other feed apart from a few odd cabbage leaves.

Don't underestimate the nutritional value of cabbage leaves.  Hereabouts, the tup breeders used to fitten their tups for sale on cabbages - no cake, just cabbages.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 10:22:10 am »
Thanks for that Sally. I didn't realise that. Have you any ideas of what I could give them as a treat but won't make the situation worse? Thanks.
4 pet sheep

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 08:54:03 pm »
Tricky!  What about grass pellets? Just a few by hand.  Or maybe celery?  I've no idea if celery is okay for them - but it's something I use in my own dieting! Lol
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 10:38:34 pm »
Thanks Sally! Don't know if they like celery but I'll certainly give it a go! I'll also look at the nutritional value of grass pellets - they would be handy just to have a few in a pocket for special treats!
4 pet sheep

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 09:16:17 pm »
The answer could be to get more sheep? :innocent: More sheep equals less grass and less weight on the ewes. ;D
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS