Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Limping lambs  (Read 2089 times)

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
Limping lambs
« on: May 27, 2016, 07:59:25 pm »
i have never had this happen before, out of 16 lambs I have five limping for no obvious reason. Feet are not hot, legs not swollen. Two also have upset stomachs does any one have any idea why and what I should do about it,

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Limping lambs
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 08:16:08 pm »
Speak to your vet sounds like you have some type of infection

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 08:44:04 pm »
I'd say it's scald, a kind of precursor to footrot in adults.  I've got a problem with footrot in mine which I will be addressing this year via footbaths and vaccination, and a lot of my lambs have been limping so it must be a very contagious thing probably picked up off the pasture. 
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 09:17:12 pm »
Scald is easy , you just look between each pair of cleets (toes ) will look moist/ pink and like your skin when in the bath to long , if you've had athletes foot then it looks the same , blue spray a couple of times bingo .             Lame and upset stomach may be connected or separate , upset stomach could be worms or cocci  ..              VET

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 09:43:10 pm »
Joint ill is rife this year and we have a few where knees and hocks are fine but shoulders or hips are infected. I think maybe a trip to the vets with a typical one is required, if you can't find evidence of scald or swollen joints.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS