Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coughing lamb  (Read 3471 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Coughing lamb
« on: May 26, 2016, 05:55:51 pm »
We've taken a batch of sheep from a local farmer who was short of grazing. He put approx 20 ewes with their lambs in our field about a month ago. They're easy-care sheep.
Twice now when i've been out with my goats and donkeys I've seen a lamb coughing. I'm not sure whether it's the same lamb or a different one but it was the same cough!
Is it normal for lambs to cough or should I contact the farmer? I could try and describe the cough here but  I'm not sure whether that would be helpful!
Thanks in advance
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Coughing lamb
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 06:23:40 pm »
It could be fluke, I would contact the farmer and let him know. Has the pasture had sheep on it before and is it grazed all year around? or is it rested from time to time?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Coughing lamb
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 06:44:33 pm »
I, too, would contact the farmer.  Lambs shouldn't cough.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS