Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Amazed by my sow  (Read 3357 times)

Toots

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Flintshire, North Wales
Amazed by my sow
« on: May 25, 2016, 02:45:32 pm »
On Saturday my two sows farrowed, (first time for them and me) the first one did really well with 7 piglets but the second had a harder time of it. Two stillborns one of which was almost twice the size of any other, the piglets that made it (5) seemed to be doing OK but she was not recovering as well as the first sow.

She was hardly coming out and not drinking much and not eating her feed, I got her to eat some rice pudding and an apple and some bread. Then late last night I found a piglet dead, not sure if she had crushed it or it died for other reasons.

So as a first time experience, it was far from enjoyable and I was not looking forward to checking on them this morning and had decided that the vet would have to be called first thing.

Up early and straight over to the pen and was very relieved to see her outside with the piglets and that all of her feed had been eaten and most of her water too. I topped up her feed and she tucked in as she normally would, I continued to feed and water the other sow.

Once finished I lit a fag and stood there watching all of them, checking for anything wrong. Then I spotted it, an extra piglet.....could she have been carrying that piglet since Saturday??? You can see the piglet is smaller than the others and unsteady on its feet.

I am amazed.........all doing fine now.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 02:51:36 pm by Toots »

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
Re: Amazed by my sow
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 02:53:00 pm »
Oh my word - I cant advise as I have no experience of farrowing but what an incredible story.
looking forward to reading the replies - and good luck to all the Sows and piglets especially the newbie  :fc: :fc: :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 04:20:23 pm »
Might the piglet have been "buried" under bedding or tucked away in a corner?   Did you see the placenta being voided?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 04:27:11 pm »
Sometimes sows are ravenous after farrowing and others aren't bothered. Some only want their normal ration others will take extra. I worry more if they are not drinking. Sometimes taking the chill off water helps. Piglets soon let you know if they haven't been fed enough. Your extra piglet was most likely hidden away as Marches Farmer said.

Rice pudding - not from your kitchen I hope -  :o

Toots

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 05:05:16 pm »
Rice pudding - not from your kitchen I hope -  :o

A nice freshly purchased can from Lidl, with it's own ring pull, so I did not contaminate myself getting the can opener from the kitchen.  :thumbsup:

Toots

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 05:10:59 pm »
Might the piglet have been "buried" under bedding or tucked away in a corner?   Did you see the placenta being voided?

I suppose its possible but I have an inspection door in the roof of the ark so have a really good view, but I didn't see the placenta being voided so maybe you're right.

Pigsmightfry

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Carlisle
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 06:39:28 pm »
There should be at least two placenta, one from each horn of the uterus, these will arrive a couple of hours after the last piglet, so it's often worth hanging around as this will tell you all the piglets have arrived. Still births are quite common, but if the piglet is not moving pick it up by its back legs and give a gentle shake, it may have a blocked airway that needs clearing.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 07:51:52 pm »
There should be at least two placenta, one from each horn of the uterus, these will arrive a couple of hours after the last piglet, so it's often worth hanging around as this will tell you all the piglets have arrived. Still births are quite common, but if the piglet is not moving pick it up by its back legs and give a gentle shake, it may have a blocked airway that needs clearing.

It isn't unusual for small pieces of afterbirth to appear throughout farrowing. Then what you tend to get is a huge amount. I certainly don't look through for two placentas. Sometimes it arrives really quickly after the last piglet and sometimes I've known it take four hours or more. I do like to know it has been passed but I just bob in and keep an eye.

Sows don't let their milk down until they have farrowed so once they start grunting and everyone is latched on you can be fairly certain she has finished.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 10:12:20 pm »
Still births are quite common, but if the piglet is not moving pick it up by its back legs and give a gentle shake, it may have a blocked airway that needs clearing.

I think the last ones born often need help to breathe so if you are not there to assist then they can present as a still born, though were actually born alive. Post mortems seem to show this.
Farrowing is a life and death experience for sure.

:thumbsup:

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 07:25:28 am »
We had a sow that often had extra ones 12+ hours after the main batch! The first time I went to bed pleased with 13, to go down the next morning and find 16! She's no longer with us for reasons including the above. Would also echo that some can take 2 days or so to get back on their feet and food, just make sure she's drinking plenty of water :)

Sows don't let their milk down until they have farrowed so once they start grunting and everyone is latched on you can be fairly certain she has finished.

Sows can and very very often do let down milk before farrowing - its an indicator that birth is imminent. Most weaners will find their way around, latch on and start drinking whilst mum finishes having the rest - part of the reason you need them birthed in a good time period so everyone gets something before the milk bar shuts  :)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 09:16:36 am »

Sows can and very very often do let down milk before farrowing - its an indicator that birth is imminent. Most weaners will find their way around, latch on and start drinking whilst mum finishes having the rest - part of the reason you need them birthed in a good time period so everyone gets something before the milk bar shuts  :)

I don't disagree that milk wont come down and piglets wont suck whilst others are being born but they will latch on then usually wander around again but once she invites them all to drink they fill their tummies and very often fall asleep at the milk bar. As a farrowing can take a period of hours it gives them all a chance.

I seem to remember from breast feeding myself once the placenta is passed that hormones change to start milk flow properly.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 09:39:46 pm »
I don't know anything about pigs, but in humans, the act of suckling actually helps encourage the passing of the placenta as it stimulates the hormone oxytocin. Most humans receive a synthetic version of this to do the same thing, speeding up the final stage of labour.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS