Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flubenvet pellets  (Read 3204 times)

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
Flubenvet pellets
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:48:18 am »
I've decided to worm the chickens for the first time ever - I've always used Verm X and whenever I've done FECs they've been clear, however a few of them have got messy bottoms and one has had some sort of respiratory infection (now recovered) so I'm having a blitz on health and hygiene.

I've ordered some layers pellets ready treated with Flubenvet - just wondering whether anyone else has used them and how you found it? The regime is to feed the pellets exclusively for a week, and limit their outdoor time so they are forced to eat the pellets. I am going to have some very cross ladies by the end of the week!

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
Re: Flubenvet pellets
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 01:06:48 pm »
I bought the same as what you've got, pellets treated with flubenvet.  I didn't let them free range, and I fed these pellets for two weeks running and it worked very well.  The bag says to feed for a week but I didn't think it would do any harm to double that.
I've used verm-x in the past but haven't had much luck with it.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 01:09:54 pm »
Vermex isn't a wormer it's a "supplement". Don't be taken in by the slick advertising it's a waste of money.

HomefieldHens

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 06:44:23 pm »
I"he used them for all my poultry and they are great - only issue I have is that I can only get them online & carriage costs around the same as the 10kg bag I need. I feed my poultry verm-x pellets at all other times - I see it more as a herbal remedy - can't harm and is probably helpful- but no substitute for the proper medication.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 04:16:34 pm »
I have an adlib hopper so fill it with 1kg per hen and they pick away over the course of 7-10 days.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 05:40:39 pm »
I have used it several times and am about to order it again.  Hens are free range and still take it from the hopper, tho I imagine a few local wild birds and pheasants are getting wormed too.  Call it my contribution to local wildlife health..

I order it via my local supplier Collessie Feeds (Blacks) and as they've several customers using it there is no additional fee over the bag cost.  I keep using it til the 10kg bag is empty, waste not want not.

VermX should be banned, it has no effect on worms or anything else that I can see.  Complete snake oil pellets for people who believe slick marketing and implied value with no scientific basis.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 06:28:05 pm »
I am going to be doing the same. Is there a withdrawal period on the eggs at all?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 08:21:14 pm »
been using it for years and free range at the same time, no worms at all and no withdrawal of eggs which i like

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 02:59:51 pm »
We use it too. We tried mixing the powder with normal pellets for a while but once I found this ready mixed version, my days of coating with veg oil and shaking for England were well behind me.
Excellent product well worth the additional cost

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 03:03:54 pm »
Actually, you say additional cost, but when I checked, it was far more expensive to buy a tub of flubenvet plus a sack of pellets, than to buy a sack of the ready mixed stuff.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 10:25:08 pm »
How much is it for a bag? Also what sizes roughly do they sell it in or is it only really big bags?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 08:04:02 am »
Think it comes in 5, 10 and 20kg bags, 20kg about £15 I think I paid back in the spring

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 12:00:23 am »
Cheapest place we have found is Farmandpetplace

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS