Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie chicken help please  (Read 2108 times)

Waula

• Joined May 2016
Newbie chicken help please
« on: May 24, 2016, 10:44:06 pm »
Hi,
We're looking at getting our first chickens but cannot make a decision on chicken houses.
We're very fortunate to have a large garden (1.2acres) and have 5 piglets which we will be rearing outdoors (rescued orphan piglets, don't ask!!!). We've got brick stables available and foxes as we are out in the sticks. Looking to get 4/5 chickens to start with. Hubby keen to go plastic for ease of cleaning. I'm balking a bit at the expense but similarly getting a bit put off with all I read about red mites! Happy to free range them (a bit) but with work etc would need a safe space too. Could a stable work for night times? Would it be a big pain for cleaning out/red mite control? Do we just bite the bullet with an Eglu cube? I can cope with the aesthetics of them...
#goingroundincircles

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Newbie chicken help please
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 04:46:10 pm »
I have a set of green frog ones lodge things. Glad i went plastic also had the door timers as mine free range.

They hold their price ao if they turn out not for you easy to resell.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 05:47:16 pm »
If your brick stables aren't in use and can be made secure at night, I'd use them instead of shelling out for an expensive coop of any kind.  You may need to add perches if there isn't anywhere obvious for them to roost, but branches or cheap timber would do the trick, and some shavings on the floor under them that you can sweep out.  As for laying, a couple of cardboard boxes or fruit trays would do - they just want them to have a bit of privacy and some kind of soft bedding - shavings, hay, straw, whatever you have.  Mine have rabbit hutches dotted about the garden but as often as not I'll find a couple behind a round bale or inside a builders bag of loose hay, under nettles, bushes..

It's quite a lot easier to find eggs if your hens aren't free ranging but I like them that way and a fox here can only get one in a visit, not slaughter the lot in a confined area.  Your ladies will probably lay in the stable before you let them out and you could make a secure (roofed) run outside the door so they can be let out without hassle, or use a window as a pophole if there is one.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 06:54:22 pm »
I use an old stable for overwintering some of my poultry and put a couple of game panels inside to make the area smaller.  I bought a set of old tin baths at an auction and they make good nest boxes which can be hosed out.  For perches two vertical breeze blocks, jammed into a corner or tied to a fencing staple hammered into the stable frame, with a length of half-round fence post do the job.  Just check under the perches by regularly running a hand below them as dusk settles - any red mite will drop ontothe warmth of your hand so you remove the breeze blocks, spray them with Raid and leave them to dry out for a few days, and burn the post.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 06:58:11 pm »
I use Eglu Cubes and Classics - if red mite appears (lots of wild birds here carry everything) it's dealth with in no time.

Fox proof... Can you hang perches from the ceiling of the stables? Foxes can jump 6ft but hens can fly higher  ;)

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 03:03:41 pm »
We use wooden hutches in the summer and a brick barn in the winter.
If you use diatomaceous (?) earth from day 1 you will have no problems - we have only had chickens for 6 years but have never had a problem with red mite due to following the same advice ourselves.
Shop around on line as some sites are very expensive
Its also excellent for mixing with the pigs straw to kill crawlies.
Just make sure you wear a mask when you are distributing it as its not good for the chest.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 03:51:50 pm »
We have an Eglu Cube and one of the smaller original Eglus and they've been brilliant. We got the Cube on Ebay for a great price!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 07:25:21 am »
Stables are excellent housing for hens especially if you can't always let them out. Have meaning the top door for air and light to stop them jumping out.

I have my perches about 3ft off the ground and that seems to deter casual predators. If you are very worried about foxes, leave a dim light on so the hens can see. They have rotten night vision. Alternatively, put them in with you piglets.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 12:02:23 pm »
If you keep heavy fowl a lower perch (30cm) is desirable as they're growing - if they hop down they can damage their legs.  Light fowl are generally fine with higher perches.  We keep one of our breeding groups of turkeys in old stables over the Winter and have an inner "door" of framing and chicken wire that fits inside the doorframe on hinges.  I just close the bottom half of the stable door overnight so the stable is fairly draught-free but still well ventilated.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 04:21:24 pm »
why waste your money on more plastic tat.  Use what youve got and buy some boards and mesh.  Let the chickens roam in the day and bring them in at night.  As for cleaning for 5 chickens there isnt much at all especially if they are out all day.  Its very simple to keep chickens dont keep to complicate it.

william_wt

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 05:39:20 pm »
I currently have a couple of hens in an old wooden hen house which has seen better days. I'm planning on housing them in a shed in the winter and was wondering if anyone had pictures of the inside of their sheds/stables so I could get an idea.of the best way to set it up for them. Thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS