Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs eating cut grass  (Read 4692 times)

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Pigs eating cut grass
« on: May 24, 2016, 09:21:26 pm »
Whenever our sow is turned into a new enclosure she relishes eating all the grass before churning up the ground.  When there is no grass left than she sees a handful given to her as a treat.

Yesterday I scythed some six inch grass and dumped a large barrow full in her pen - it was all devoured.  She gives the impression she would eat as much as I gave her.

Would this be ok for her?

(she is currently feeding a three week old litter)

Thanks for any thoughts
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:52:30 pm by GribinIsaf »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Pigs eating cut grass
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 09:50:54 pm »
Yep they love grass cuttings and weeds from the veggie patch.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 12:52:11 am »
Only had pigs for a few months but yes!! They do really well on grass and weeds, mine love it and it really enhances their diet! I scatter it around to enrich their environment and keep them entertained. Happy healthy piggies!

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 10:32:22 am »
We give ours fresh cut grass, they nibble at it but mainly they like throwing it about and playing on the heap. I know generally the advice is not to give grass cuttings to animals, but the pigs have never come to harm from it.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 10:50:05 am »
We give ours fresh cut grass, they nibble at it but mainly they like throwing it about and playing on the heap. I know generally the advice is not to give grass cuttings to animals, but the pigs have never come to harm from it.
I believe that as long as it's freshly cut and you're just giving small (ish) amounts it's alright. Problems can arise if it's left before feeding, given in huge quantities or contains anything poisonous, plant wise. Our sows (and all the kunekune) used to love getting into the big field and munching on the long grass - weaners, they just want to dig it all up  ::) ;D

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 08:27:09 pm »
Thanks for all the thoughts.  This is long grass cut by scythe so it is not a mush or contaminated by oil etc.  I guess I just need to ration her to a barrow a day rather than see how much she would eat before exploding.  And yes, the youngsters love frolicking in it as well as having a little nibble.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 08:36:56 pm »
How much sow & weaner nuts are you giving her?   I feed 1.3 to 1.8 kg for the sow plus 500g per piglet, split into two feeds.   If she has a large litter I'd be surprised if she has enough room for a barrow of grass. 

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 08:52:00 pm »
There are only seven in the litter and we are feeding pretty much as you describe 2kg for her and 3.5 kg for the piglets - spilt into two feeds. (she is a big sow!)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS