Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: loading and off loading slaughter pigs  (Read 6609 times)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: loading and off loading slaughter pigs
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 02:51:16 pm »
 Preparation is vital and everything secure. If they find an escape route they will just keep using it. When people start with pigs  think about how you will load your finished pigs. Carrying cute weaners down the garden is one thing. Getting them back up and into a trailer is another when they are 80kgs.

If you give an animal the impression you have all day and probably it will be quick and easy. Give them the impression you have 5 minutes and it might take all day.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 11:46:00 pm »
We have an Ifor Williams Pg6, nice little trailer but you can't stand up,in it and you have to crawl in if the pigs won't come out so in that respect bit tricky. We back it up to the gate, use a few huddles to make a pen and feed them by the gate a couple of days beforehand.  The greediest pigs are usually the biggest so tend to get to the gate first.  On D day open the gate and a few hand full of feed on the trailer side of the gate and shut it quick once the right pigs come through. They tend to be curious to look in the trailer especially if there are some more nuts in sight.  On an ideal loading I just use the board to usher them in.  On a less than ideal loading it is to stop them doubling back.  They definitely sense your nerves and will get agitated when they do so important to be calm.   8 trips so far so not the most experienced by a long way, but it has worked so far.

I cut the feed by half the morning before and give just a hand ful or two at the gate in the evening. Yes it feels mean but I think kinder to the pig than chasing it around the paddock the next day, they need to be hungry enough to go looking for those pig nuts in the trailer.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:48:35 pm by pharnorth »

SuffolkLab

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 06:31:53 pm »
We had this problem the first time we sent some pigs to our local butcher/abattoir. In the end we used a bucket over the head and then walked them out backwards. They're very easy to handle this way and don't get stressed out. As long as you hold the bucket on, they'll go wherever you like (up/down ramps etc).

Hope this helps.

Suffolklab

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 07:28:16 pm »
And steer gently by the tail!

Vassa16

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 08:44:19 pm »
Hi,
I have an old stock trailer which I use as a field shelter for my pigs, I tend to feed them in there the evening before then shut them in until I'm ready for the abitoir in the morning, I find moving them from their shelter to trailer much easyer and as there used to the shelter it's no problem gettin them in

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS