Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buttercups  (Read 6065 times)

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
Buttercups
« on: May 24, 2016, 12:24:19 pm »

We have a large patch of buttercups in our goat's pen, but am in two minds as to whether to go out and dig them up !

Any thoughts anyone?

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
Re: Buttercups
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 03:08:23 pm »
Forgive the stupid question but why would you dig them out?
My goats love to eat them - maybe that is where I am going wrong!
I am looking forward to seeing what advice you get - I might be out with my spade sooner than I thought...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 12:41:58 am »
I thought they were poisonous. My goat would never touch them and I assumed that was why.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 01:00:25 am »
I know they give horses belly-ache when fresh and they avoid them, but I'm pretty sure my sheep eat them without effect.

Not very helpful, as neither are goats, but I assume goats are closer to sheep than they are horses! ;)

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 09:12:00 am »
Photo from BBGS web site

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 09:39:07 am »
Ha! Just as I thought....mixed opinions :)

I had read in several places that they were poisonous when fresh, but fine in hay.

Well they don't seem to eat them anyway, and they've not keeled over yet!
Think I'm going to leave them for now.

Maybe dig them up over the winter and plant something more useful in their place!

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 09:59:17 am »
That's really good to know. You mention spreading lime.  Do the goats need to be off the land before it is spread. Again probably a daft question ......

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 10:13:54 am »
The biggest problem thy could cause is photosensitivity.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 10:43:09 am »
Lime in itself is not poisonous and is most likely to make the grass taste unpleasant until washed off with a good shower of rain. though to some extent it does depend on what liming product you are able to use, I would also add that although liming grass fields periodically is a good idea it does not necessarily follow that buttercuos will miraculously disappear. in acidic soil buttercup easily outcompetes grass, which prefers a higher ph soil, but buttercup can still grow happily in most soil types, particularly if well established. I agree with those highlighting buttercups mild toxicity and regard it has having little in the way of value to a field beyond it looking pretty

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 11:25:28 pm »
Buttercups are poisonous when fresh and are ok in hay. Some of my goats ate them, you could see them picking the flowers of No direct  I'll effect but the milk was tainted. Don't know if this helps ?? Given the chance I would always remove them  :wave:

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 01:05:00 pm »
Buttercups are toxic but not horrendously so and few animals will eat them in excess unless there is nothing else in the fields.

The colour is a give-away.... natures danger colour is yellow (although some plants/animals mimic it to convince predators to give them a wide berth).

It is a sign that the ground needs lime, and you'll notice a huge difference if you spread some, the grass will quickly recover and crowd out the buttercups.  I would do the lime rather than trying to dig them out personally, but it's probably worth doing a soil analysis whilst you're at it in case the ground is deficient in other ways.

I read somewhere else recently about goats eating buttercups having red urine... I'm no vet, but I would think that was a sign of blood staining the urine and therefore not a 'good' thing.
My land is covered in buttercups and the sheep leave them alone. I only thought they were poisonous to cattle? You have definately reminded me to do a soil analysis though and maybe lime is in order, I shall miss them though :'(
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS