Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone doing the glamping thing?  (Read 2729 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Anyone doing the glamping thing?
« on: May 24, 2016, 12:07:29 pm »
 :wave: We have just had our offer accepted on an 8 acre smallholding near Newtown, Wales. All very exciting but now need to focus on making some £££!

The property doesn't have any out buildings and the land is very sloping. We are hoping to put up our goat stables in the garden to avoid planning permission and get permissive development instead  :fc:

We are also hoping to buy a horse box, do it up and rent it out as holiday accommodation. Is anyone else doing anything similar? I'm trying to get my head around planning permission and it seems we wold need to get change of use for part of our field? We would probably need to build compost loos and we thought it would be nice to have a wood fired hot tub.....

Would love to hear from anyone who has already gone through the planning process. Thank you

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: Anyone doing the glamping thing?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 01:40:28 pm »
find someone near you that will rent you 4.5 acres (on paper). then you qualify for permitted development, as the 12.5 acre limit includes the whole holding, rented land as well! does not need to be adjoining either!

HTH

Adam

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 01:44:30 pm »
Replying - so I can keep up with this thread. Am thinking through a similar plan but we only have 3.25 acres.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 02:02:51 pm »
find someone near you that will rent you 4.5 acres (on paper). then you qualify for permitted development, as the 12.5 acre limit includes the whole holding, rented land as well! does not need to be adjoining either!

HTH

Adam

The 12.5 acres limit is for agricultural permitted development. I think the poster is referring to the permitted development that applies to houses as that covers structures within the curtailage of the house (such as in the garden) . The agricultural PD requires a pre notification application which costs money.

Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 02:13:16 pm »

HTH

Adam

The 12.5 acres limit is for agricultural permitted development. I think the poster is referring to the permitted development that applies to houses as that covers structures within the curtailage of the house (such as in the garden) . The agricultural PD requires a pre notification application which costs money.

The 12.5 acre limit gives the options to build a 400+ sq metre agri building on the agricultural land, as long as it is general purpose and at least 25m from the road/buildings.

this is the way forward if you want to build a good sized multi-purpose shed (which was mentioned in the OP), but for christs sake don't mention the goats in the application, or you'll have to site it 400m from any roads/buildings.

glamping - no idea... we looked into it a little, and suggestions were that there's more glamping sites than there is demand, and that a lot of them are going unused. If you can afford to start it up, and have them sit empty, then you may be able to wait out the "bubble".

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 02:38:22 pm »
Thanks all!

I was hoping the stables could go at the end of the garden so it would hopefully be permitted development within our 'curtilage' of the house. Would it be unwise to say the stables are for goats? Will this have to be 400m from other houses and the road? If so, I better not go ahead with the purchase as the garden is the only bit of land flat enough.

I tried speaking to Powys council but they wont say anything over the phone, instead they want me to fill in a long complex form with diagrams and maps.

The glamping hut thing would be sited quite a long way from the house so I imagine I will need full planning permission for that.

Mmmm, if only a house would come up with land and outbuildings that we could afford.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 02:49:57 pm »
Thanks all!

I was hoping the stables could go at the end of the garden so it would hopefully be permitted development within our 'curtilage' of the house. Would it be unwise to say the stables are for goats? Will this have to be 400m from other houses and the road? If so, I better not go ahead with the purchase as the garden is the only bit of land flat enough.

I tried speaking to Powys council but they wont say anything over the phone, instead they want me to fill in a long complex form with diagrams and maps.

The glamping hut thing would be sited quite a long way from the house so I imagine I will need full planning permission for that.

Mmmm, if only a house would come up with land and outbuildings that we could afford.

A house without buildings is much more attractive to a residential mortgage product.... which is why we're buying a similar thing - acreage with house and no buildings at all.

when it comes to buildings and stuff, just say "general purpose hay/feed/machinery store". they don't know that you might put a few goats in it, and it's not meant to stop that anyway... it's meant to stop a big cow shed full of wet cow slurry being sited next to a road or some poor buggers' house. Don't worr about it, but don't make a rod for your own back would be my advice.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 03:06:24 pm »
Glamping = problems with drainage, water supply, lighting, waste disposal, profligate use of logs or charcoal, cold nights, unsupervised dogs or children if you allow them, and problems caused by mud, mud and more mud.  If you offer bedlinen and towels you'll need a lot of capacity for washing and tumble drying and a well developed tolerance of vast amounts of cleaning and ironing.  We've rented out the farm holiday cottage for many years and once considered glamping but backed off (quickly) when we thought it through.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS