Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help - sheep going bald  (Read 5716 times)

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
Help - sheep going bald
« on: May 24, 2016, 10:35:14 am »
My Shetland sheep are developing bald patches. I noticed it first on one sheep on and around its tail (photo attached). There are some now balding round the face and neck.
I took a sample up to the vets this morning but they didn't find any lice which I suspected it was as i recently treated my two pet goats for lice (which has all cleared up now).  I'm sure its not scab as its not scabby but just looks like a very clean shave.

Any ideas anyone? My moneys still on lice and the vet has suggested to just try Spotinor and see if it clears things up.

Thanks in advance.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Help - sheep going bald
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 11:48:51 am »
Shetlands do roo.... as in shed their fleece, and it typically  starts around the tail end and/or the neck, plus often on the belly.... they are ready to be clipped!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 11:56:05 am »
I have 3 that are almost totally naked now the rest are holding on for the shearer hopefully (I want the fleeces) but it does look very odd when it happens at first as it's so patchy.... But totally natural...

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 12:20:09 pm »
My BWM are shedding - tails, necks, some from the spine downwards.  Looking very scruffy indeed!  Shearer coming Sunday :).

If your goats had lice then I would treat your sheep with Crovect once they are shorn or roo'd.  That will keep on top of any lice build up.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 01:21:57 pm »
my Lleyns are starting to shed too, I think it will be shearer booked in for a weeks time. It will give me time to clean the shed ready for shearing. Having said that I would watch oyt for lice too, so after shearing it would be worth treating them.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 02:35:27 pm »
I knew about Shetlands rooing but does that make them go literally babies bottom soft with no hair whatsoever? Looking in closely theres no sign of lice like there was with the goats.

I think the best option is to try treating them for lice anyway then take it from there.

Thanks for the comments!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 03:01:08 pm »
Watch what you treat them with if they're to be shorn - the shearer may object.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 03:39:38 pm »
Don't treat them until after they are shorn, you will be wasting product and your shearer won't be happy.  It works best on newly shorn animals.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 04:45:30 pm »
If it's not normal shedding,  it could be scald/dermatitis if they've spent a long time wet; I've had something similar on the easycares, where they develop completely bald patches with a slight  crustyness, but it's  not itchy and not scab. I cleared it up by washing with hibiscrub although, just to be sure, i applied crovect a couple of days later just in case there was something else.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 07:58:18 pm »
Looking at your sheep in the picture they look perfectly normal ,  lice in sheep does not make them as you say "babies bottom soft with no hair what so ever "  the sheep should look as if they had been pulled through a bramble patch with long tags where the sheep have pulled , wool in the corner of the mouth and sheep constantly turning to nibble  .     

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS