Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Knotweed control  (Read 5431 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Knotweed control
« on: May 24, 2016, 10:27:01 am »
I have a few areas of knotweed that I need to deal with.  It's been sprayed with Grazon (I let it get to about 3ft tall so there were plenty of leaves to spray) and it's wilted considerably.  Most of the stems have totally wilted over but some of the larger ones are just wilted at the top.
Should I re-treat the half wilted ones in some way, either more spray or maybe via injection?
Also, can I cut away the wilted stems now (its been about 1-2 weeks since spray), as I really need to strim the grass area where these stems are growing through (and I don't want to strim the knotweed stems to avoid spreading it).
I plan to give it all a second spray later in the year with glysophate.  And then repeat next year, etc.

Also, what are peoples thoughts on digging it out? (carefully and picking out as much root as poss)

I'm just trying to find the best way to get shot of it as quickly as possible :) .

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Re: Knotweed control
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 11:19:07 am »
Is it def knotweed?  not balsam as this is easy to remove.  If you dig it out (apparently roots can go down quite a distance and you need to dispose in a licensed tip (one in Merythr).  It takes 3 years of spraying and my understanding is that injection is better however you need to have the time and money.  I would follow the instructions on the net via roundup and other sprays.

My issue here is balsam. 

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 11:26:51 am »
It's knotweed defo (and I'll be burning whatever I dig up).  Had Balsam at previous place, that's much easier to deal with!!
These two plants that are the scurge of south wales :(.

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 01:05:47 pm »
Roots too deep to get rid of easily and risk spreading by digging. We had a very small patch. I sprayed with strong Glyphosate (get a brush killer one) and then made a hole and squirted some down each stem. it has never reappeared (three years now). Our larger patch will be more difficult as we need a dinghy to get to it!

Good luck  :thumbsup:
Helen

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 05:27:21 pm »
Why not change your attitude. Start eating it. It's very similar taste and texture to rubarb.

Then you will eat everything you have and wish it will grow back quicker.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 12:29:14 pm »
I have a few areas of knotweed that I need to deal with.  It's been sprayed with Grazon (I let it get to about 3ft tall so there were plenty of leaves to spray) and it's wilted considerably.  Most of the stems have totally wilted over but some of the larger ones are just wilted at the top.
Should I re-treat the half wilted ones in some way, either more spray or maybe via injection?
Also, can I cut away the wilted stems now (its been about 1-2 weeks since spray), as I really need to strim the grass area where these stems are growing through (and I don't want to strim the knotweed stems to avoid spreading it).
I plan to give it all a second spray later in the year with glysophate.  And then repeat next year, etc.

Also, what are peoples thoughts on digging it out? (carefully and picking out as much root as poss)

I'm just trying to find the best way to get shot of it as quickly as possible :)

It's not much good spraying any sort of big tall plants as the roots and plants are   very strong .
 You need to hit it when it's struggling to survive .  So try cutting it back to 3 to 4 inches high and a few weeks after new shoots appear give it the Grazon again .

Don't do this when the plant is dormant such as really cold weather or winter as you need plenty of nice soft tender un waxed leaves , shoots & stems .

Repeat the exercise till it's all gone , sometimes four or five sessions are needed . and yes do burn all the cuttings as Grazon has a very long term residual effect in the dead plants .
That residual weed killing effect will kill off any area where you use it as a mulch or as composted green matter for a good 18 months or so .

Grazon also passes through grazing stockintestines quite happily and still has a weed killing effect for a good 18 months so don't use any affected dungs for composting or the veg plot either .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

muddypuddle

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 10:40:37 am »
My OH used neat glyphosphate the active ingredient in round-up and just painted it on, it usually needs a few goes. I think he did cut the stem to put some in it too. I don't know if you have farmer you could ask for some as this is much stronger than what you would pick up most other places.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 02:09:56 pm »
Okey dokey - all received.  I will try all of that and report back on progress :)

All I need now is somewhere to spread it off the ground to get it to dry out so I can burn it easier!  I've found if you just leave it in a heap it starts to grow again!  A very determined plant indeed!

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 10:57:36 pm »
I have a small patch too, and I'm simply pulling it out 2-3 times a season. It's easily done but obviously not everything comes out so not killing it, but certainly not spreading at all, and that's good enough for me.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 04:13:50 pm »
At this time of year I take a dashel basher with me when I walk the fields and hack anything I don't want off near the root.  It doesn't kill everything but at this time of year it's too late for many plants to send up more flowers so I have a chance to get ahead next year. At least that's the theory...

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 04:22:30 pm »
The Grazon is doing a magnificent job so far :D  Just done my third spray I think, and only a few new shoots have been coming up.

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 04:50:20 pm »
Actually I would recommend this:  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prevent-japanese-knotweed-from-spreading
right at the bottom is a document link: further reading "Japanese Knotweed Code of Practice"
Is the most complete document on the subject that I have found so far :)

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS