Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for interesting fluff to spin  (Read 9683 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Looking for interesting fluff to spin
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2016, 09:30:19 pm »
Glad you like it, wbf  :D

Not difficult at all to me - I dyed the fibre (which was Southdown tops), span and plied it in a variety of ways to handle the colour differently, then knitted the hat with the resultant yarn.  The hat pattern was basic in the extreme.

My sister loved it, so I gave it to her :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2016, 12:04:41 am »
[member=8989]Bionic[/member] - thank you for the book recommendation - I've ordered it as it does look good.  Won't come til late next week now, held up by some out of stock silk grrr!  I even ordered some more bobbins to take all this yarn I'm going to be spinning  :spin: :thumbsup:

I'm still waiting for the book to arrive from Fibre Hut.........   Wish I'd ordered it from elsewhere.

Instead I've been ploughing my way through Deb Menz's book 'Colour in Spinning'.  I've had the book for a number of years but I still find it a bit obsessive/compulsive, eye wateringly so  :'(   I did though find my copy of dyeing instructions from my original acid dye supplier, which are clear and easy to follow.  These were tucked in the front cover of Deb Menz's book, so no wonder I couldn't find them  ::)

The sink is all plumbed in in the new scullery so I can really get going now with dyeing without getting in the way of everyday life  :yippee:
I've been looking at the types of dyed fibre available for sale, including Freyalyn's, and I will try to reproduce these.  I love playing around with colour.

We've almost decided to go to Woolfest.  I wonder if it would work to get one of those toddler leads which go round their and your wrists, so I don't get lost when I stop to look at something and Mr F keeps on going and gets swallowed up by the crowds.

ps Sally I think the hats are particularly successful  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 10:24:56 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2016, 12:48:04 am »

We've almost decided to go to Woolfest.  I wonder if it would work to get one of those toddler leads which go round their and your wrists, so I don't get lost when I stop to look at something and Mr F keeps on going and gets swallowed up by the crowds.

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2016, 10:57:31 am »

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

I have suggested a husband crèche at Shetland Wool Week several times; perhaps we should have one at Woolfest?!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:33:22 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2016, 11:44:12 am »
I need mine as a people plough to push a way through the squash and I can follow in his wake.  Trouble is he's a bit deaf (so he says) so doesn't hear me when I say I want to stop.

A man crèche would be good though, and they could all huddle together moaning on about being fibre widowers  :innocent:  whilst wearing beautiful sweaters and hats.....
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2016, 01:07:56 am »
If a man creche had copious quantities of tea and cakes and played music, I would have trouble getting mine out at the end of the day.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2016, 01:43:18 am »
If a man creche had copious quantities of tea and cakes and played music, I would have trouble getting mine out at the end of the day.

Oh, well that exists at Woolfest already.  It's called 'The Square' and is near the ice-cream stall too, and the Ravelry Interactive area :)

FW's use of hub as people-plough, however, is a different requirement.  The wrist-lead thing sounds ideal, yes.  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS