Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Should I candle one more time?  (Read 2195 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Should I candle one more time?
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:48:45 pm »
First eggs are due to hatch on Friday.  We candled at 7 days and discarded one that wasn't developing at all.
Should we candle them again before day 19 or just wait and see?
Thanks very much
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

dr241000

• Joined Jan 2016
  • Saxmundham, Suffolk
Re: Should I candle one more time?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 08:01:45 pm »
I normally candle them again at 14 days just to check that everything is progressing as should be. So you could do it again now just to make sure.
Good luck with hatching, I've got some coming on Sunday. :fc:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 08:10:03 pm »
If I'm confident the eggs were fresh when they went in (and therefore unlikely to become addled whilst in the ncubator) I don't candle at all.  Opening the incubator affects both temperature and humidity and if they're not viable there's nothing I can do about it anyway.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 09:24:51 pm »
I would candle up to Tuesday, nothing wrong with opening the incubator for a bit up until then. A hen leaves her nest for eating & defecating too, the new Brinseas even include a cooling option to mimick this.[/size] Plus I want to know how well they're doing, regular candling will show you when embryos stop developing which can be very useful to know if a batch goes wrong.

[/size]So Friday's the big day? :excited:

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 10:48:02 pm »
Thanks very much for the advice.
Eve - Friday is day 21, it's come round quickly! I have the electric hen ready so hope there are chicks to use it!
We're making the brooder box in the next couple of days, I feel like I should be boiling water and collecting fluffy towels!
 :excited:

2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 08:44:07 am »
Why candle?
My wife's a doctor and one of her rules is don't order a test done if you're not going to act differently based on the outcome. I find that very helpful advice round the farm, e.g. before taking an animal's temperature, make your mind up as to what you will do based on the result - if normal then do this, if over 39.5C do that.

Applying that to candling, what will you do if the candling shows that some eggs died last week? If the air sack is too small/big can you adjust humidity in your incubator to compensate and will it make a difference at this stage?. IMX, candling late is of little use because the chicks take up so much of the egg that its hard to make out anything at all.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 09:12:44 am »
Thanks benkt. I suppose my reason for candling would be that if there was an egg or eggs not viable we'd remove them from the incubator then we wouldn't be waiting to see if it would hatch when the others had hatched?
As this is our first attempt it's all a big learning curve but it would be really great to have a few chicks by the weekend!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 03:19:30 pm »
My hatches so far this year, all fresh eggs and set on the same day, have hatched over a four-day period, during which time I've opened the incubator once to remove the dividers on day 18 and on day 22 and 23 to remove chicks before shutting the incubator down on day 23.  I always open unhatched eggs and, from a batch of 80, find a few infertile and a handful of late(ish) death in shell, but since the overall hatch rate is generally good and there was nothing I could've done about the others .....

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 09:14:42 pm »
I suppose my reason for candling would be that if there was an egg or eggs not viable we'd remove them from the incubator then we wouldn't be waiting to see if it would hatch when the others had hatched?

Exactly right  :)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
Update - Should I candle one more time?
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 09:18:00 pm »
We decided to candle and 3 out of the 5 were as they should be on day 18 and the other two were no good.
So we've taken out the disc and put paper towel in as instructed and will keep the incubator closed now and hope for the best!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:19:41 pm by laurelrus »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS