Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: stubborn Jersey Cow  (Read 2653 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
stubborn Jersey Cow
« on: May 23, 2016, 01:40:18 pm »
All of a sudden since the girl has gone out onto pasture I cant move her to bring in to milk.  She will walk past the gate and then stick her heals in and tuck her head into her side. Absolutely no chance to shift her unless the OH slaps her arse and drags her which isnt great for when I'm on my own.  I had to resort to milking her by the gate. 

She is 4yrs old.

Why has she changed and what can I do to break this?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: stubborn Jersey Cow
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 01:57:54 pm »
Are you hand or machine milking?  Are you giving concentrates whilst milking?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 03:27:07 pm »
If she's not resisting milking, only coming through the gate, then I'd look at feet and surfaces, cold drafts where you milk her, that sort of thing - something environmental that she doesn't like.  Maybe flies in the parlour?  Do you leave her standing tied up while you process the milk or anything that she doesn't like?  Does she have to walk across grit or gravel? 

And yes, if you're feeding concentrates while milking and she still won't come in, then there's some powerful disincentive there.   :thinking:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 03:48:48 pm »
no issues, milk by hand in a clean barn.  She was ok before when I took her out of the side of the shed into a safe area, tucked into her lucerne loved it. Now on pasture not interested in the lucerne and was/still is happy to be milked.

Around the barns where we now milk is long grass and I let her have a good graze she was happy. The ground is pretty stable.

Last 2 days she is a right mare - she doesnt want to go there at all. No signs of lameness or problems on the ground.

Saying that She doesnt seem happy in the barn not sure if its being enclosed thats making her unhappy.  She lets me milk her though and walks back ok.  Will have to see if I can tie her up in the open barn area but first of all I'll have to get her to walk with me.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 05:14:12 pm »
strange, has she been frightened at all by anything? some animals just do that. One of my buffaloes keeps taking off when its time to milk her and I have to run across the field to get her back, good excercise for me but rather annoying. Sometimes they just develope bad habits which have to be broken. Animals are strange and unpredictable, but hey thats why we love em. :D I hope you get this sorted real soon and am sorry I can't be of more help. All the best :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 05:35:45 pm »
Are there bight areas and pools of dark shadow?  Is there a loud noise or something new like a bumble bees' nest that might spook her?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS