Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fennel  (Read 16859 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Fennel
« on: May 22, 2016, 10:29:12 pm »
Have a bush of the stuff and millions of seedlings over my veg plot. We do have favourie recipes with the seeds but what should we do with this??

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Fennel
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 11:21:13 pm »
The chopped leaves can be used in a white or béarnaise sauce with fish.   Dig out the rest like weeds or you'll have nothing but fennel.  The bees and hoverflies will thank you for it of course  :bee: :bee: :bee: as they love that type of flower.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 08:18:40 am »
Fennel bulb is nice roasted like thick chopped onion quarters / eighths covered in balsamic vinegar / syrup

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 11:10:52 pm »
Have tried the fish/ white sauce idea - and it was v good FW. What age bulb are you thinking of BL ? The clump we have is fairly established we think. Do I just dig a bit up. Sounds good idea to roast.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 07:34:36 am »
Bulb fennel and herb fennel are different plants, so you'll not get anything worth roasting from herb fennel I'm afraid Ghdp.  :(

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 08:15:25 am »
And if you've sown carrots nearby you'll be flummoxed. You won't know fennel seedlings from carrot! Guess how I know.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 02:26:25 pm »
Wish I had some of your fennel! Widely used in Greek cooking :)

Herb fennel is great in anything that you would like a hint of aniseed aroma in (where you would otherwise like to add tarragon, or fennel seeds or bulb fennel too:
fish soup or chowder
stews with pork or chicken
any sauce or gravy for fish/pork/chicken
omelettes/scrambled eggs
goes really well in salads too :)
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 07:49:56 pm »
Sorry Lady K i have weeded loads out. I am only up the road from you I suspect not far from Llanfair TH. if i find more seedlings would you like a Pm. Good ideas tho. Have used it in salad and will try the others. Scrambled egg sounds particularly good 

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 06:37:10 pm »
I know bulb fennel is different from herb fennel but can you use the tops of bulb fennel like the herb? 

I was at an organic farm shop today and they were selling 'fennel tops' for 20p and bulbs separately, and I THINK they're from the same plants, but not sure.

Also, I've fennel here for the first time (bulbs in the raised bed and herb in a pot) and not sure when to harvest the bulbs, they're pretty big now so I'm guessing this week - do they go woody at some point, bolt, or just get huge?  And do they freeze or will they keep in the ground like carrots until needed?

It seemed a good idea to try new veg but of course I've no clue what to do with what I have grown now!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Piggerswiggers

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 07:30:05 pm »
Hi ellied
Get 'em while they're young and smallish. In my experience there's not much pleasure in trying to gnaw your way through a woody fennel, roasted or any other way.
Piggers

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 09:33:09 pm »
I've added dill weed & herb fennel to hot sweet spiced vinegar for pickling cucumber  & also for pickling some of our Dwarf French & wax beans

We liked the aniseed taste it , but the cuc stuff needs to be consumed before the cucs go a light khaki slimy colour as they are past their  best by then ( but still edible  for some folk ) .

I guess that seven months in the cool store cupboard is the max we should have kept them without eating them . 
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 10:15:38 pm »
I know bulb fennel is different from herb fennel but can you use the tops of bulb fennel like the herb?

Yep!

I was at an organic farm shop today and they were selling 'fennel tops' for 20p and bulbs separately, and I THINK they're from the same plants, but not sure.

Very smart ad resourceful :)

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 10:45:01 am »
We've had the same in our veg plot - next year i'm bagging the seedheads to stop that happening again.  Use wise  I like to make fennel (and other herb) oils , by putting a good handful of the herb in a 250ml bottle topping up with olive oil and leaving to stand in a warm place (mine is on the kitchen windowsil) for 3-6 months ... these make nice home made presents in sets of three flavours , but also for your own use its an easy way to get a herby kick into anything you want to fry or roast 

Another option is to blend it up with some butter and then roll it up in some cling film (to about the diameter of a ten p) and stick it in the fridge.  Once its chilled you can cut it into slices and wrap each one in a bit of foil to freeze  (alternately push the butter into an icecube tray and freeze) - again gives you a little flavour bomb when you need it - great for roasting fish

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 08:36:21 pm »
I'd also add after a frustrating day digging over the veg beds that those baby fennels are an absolute swine to dig out if you don't pull them when they are teeny -  mine had forked taproots going down about a foot and they were only from this year.

The parent plant which was 3 years old had roots about 2.5 ft long - longer in fact as that's how deep i was when it finally broke off leaving the far ends in the soil.   - Next year the fennel is going in a tub

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS