Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Michael Mosley's Blood Sugar Diet  (Read 3048 times)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Michael Mosley's Blood Sugar Diet
« on: May 22, 2016, 11:56:04 am »
Been hearing good things about this way of eating and have ordered the book. I am planning to start this on the 1st of June. Is anyone keen to try this with me?

As a brief overview - You watch carbs and restrict calories to 800 (either every day for 2m for a massive kick start or 2 days a week and eat Mediterranean for the rest of the week in a slower form) This is following the studies done in Newcastle University that show shocking the body can help lose the fat around internal organs, especially the liver, which causes people to be diabetic/pre-diabetic

https://thebloodsugardiet.com/what-is-the-blood-sugar-diet-bsd/

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Michael Mosley's Blood Sugar Diet
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 12:09:24 pm »
it looks good I might try it, hang on my mum tried the 5:2 diet and she looked guant by the end of it, it was horrible.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 12:11:35 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 03:16:11 pm »
As a type 2 diabetic and lifelong porker I have tried all types of diets few have worked long term,lack of will power is the main protagonist .
 Nowadays I have with a little success combined 2 types of diet on the diabetic side getting the carb / protein  balance right and alongside the Eat less  Move more method , still need willpower though  :-\

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 06:23:19 pm »
Lack of will power is the main protagonist

I struggle with this too. I'm keen to try this though as its a set period to follow that has a concrete finish date - for me that should help keep me on the straight and narrow. Once those 8 weeks are up? We'll cross that bridge when I reach it :)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 05:38:14 pm »
Just about anything that heads towards low carb and intermittent fasting is well worth consideration in my book.   :thumbsup:  I'm on another way of eating, so won't join you but wish you all the best.

If it's any use, on fast days, I find it much easier to not eat till I actually get hungry (about 2-3pm normally) and then have a smallish meal, and another small meal/soup about 6pm in place of dinner and that's me. All the times I've tried having a single boiled egg, grapefruit, tiny bowl cereal for breakfast I've been dying of hunger before midday.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 05:47:56 pm »
If it's any use, on fast days, I find it much easier to not eat till I actually get hungry (about 2-3pm normally) and then have a smallish meal, and another small meal/soup about 6pm in place of dinner and that's me. All the times I've tried having a single boiled egg, grapefruit, tiny bowl cereal for breakfast I've been dying of hunger before midday.

Useful advice :) I've never been one for breakfast because as you say, once you start its hard to stop!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 07:07:24 pm »
I found fasting started a roller coaster effect, got really hungry them would eat a bigger than normal meal   :-[

So its Eat breakfast like a king , lunch like a prince and supper like a pauper, plenty of sugar free liquids during the day and every meal balanced out, Oh and willpower, may have mentioned that before  :)

slowly but surely.........

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 09:03:14 am »
As to dieting, just eat what you need! How many people who are a bit overweight were made, as children, to sit at the table until they had finished everything on their plate? Or praised for eating up the left-overs?

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 08:15:37 pm »
As to dieting, just eat what you need! How many people who are a bit overweight were made, as children, to sit at the table until they had finished everything on their plate? Or praised for eating up the left-overs?
Me, for one, for 11 years at school and oh boy has it caused me problems!  I still can't leave food on my plate, but at the age of 40 I've finally discovered that I run much better without breakfast.  Most days now I have a 3-egg cheese & veggie omelette for lunch and a massive salad with some sort of protein for supper and am disappearing at steady 1.5lbs a week when I stick to it properly.  Sadly I discovered Tesco's new oat, hazelnut and chocolate chip cookies, so I've been a bit stalled for the last three weeks  ;D

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 08:17:44 pm »

yep, empty your plate, there are children starving in Africa  Mother would tell us .

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 06:59:54 am »

yep, empty your plate, there are children starving in Africa  Mother would tell us .
...... and so there are!!  So yes clear you plate EVERY Time ..... BUT   don't put so much on it or better still use a smaller plate!       Has anyone noticed how much bigger a standard plate is these days compared to those used by mum?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 08:23:59 am »
There is a portion size argument, but it's not the whole picture.

My plate can be piled high with sausages, bacon, tomatoes and eggs and butter fried mushrooms, but I won't be able to finish that much fat and protein.
Probably could eat twice as much Chinese takeaway, noodles, sweet and sour, prawn crackers and have pudding, and a snack two hours later.

Low carb, High fat is allows you to reduce how much you eat, without feeling hungry. Many people naturally cut out all snacks and the odd meal within a few weeks of eating this way. Hunger goes away. And even with my childhood training to finish my plate, I start thinking that I'll leave this half of the steak, or curry and have it for lunch tomorrow (yet normally, with potatoes/rice on my plate as well, I'd eat the lot).

It's hard to get your head round it after a lifetime of hearing a different story but there are some excellent books out there. And once you start reading the science, you realise calories are not the whole story, and that calories in, calories out, move more eart less is so over simplified it doesn't really work. It's a similar picture with heart disease. My fav is Gary taubes, why we get fat.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS