Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just a Thank You from a Lurker  (Read 1866 times)

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
Just a Thank You from a Lurker
« on: May 21, 2016, 09:49:19 pm »
Hi all,

I just wanted to say a huge thanks to the forum and you wonderful experienced poultry folk. I'm fairly sure I've got an outbreak of MG in my flock. I've been reading non stop via Google about it, and posted in another famed poultry forum where almost everyone was saying cull, cull, CULL! I was devastated. I have a lovely flock of around 30 hens including Polands, Marans, Leghorns and Hybrids; the thought of killing and starting over was just awful.

However, having done a search on this site and read some of the posts and advice, I'm very heartened to see that many people deal with MG in their flocks and just maintain happy, healthy hens to keep incidence rates low. My infection was caused by a new hen who showed no symptoms in quarantine but integrating her must've stressed her out as she developed symptoms thereafter and now a few of the other hens are looking a bit peaky.

I'm under no illusion that I may have to cull a few here and there, and that some may die, but if I can run a healthy flock aside from that, I'll be happy.

So, thank you! You've made my horrendous past few days seem a little brighter!  :thumbsup:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Just a Thank You from a Lurker
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 10:21:45 pm »
always here to help and I am glad that you have found a soloution, I really hope it works out for you. One question though have you spoken to your vet about it? They may be able to offer some more advice. All the best with everything and I hope that it all turns out very well. :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 10:31:05 pm »
Glad to be of help  :)
I have one flock with both Myco S and Myco G and there's been absolutely no need to cull a bird because of it so don't worry too much. A blood test will confirm if your birds carry it, and it costs under £30 depending on the vet / lab.
Any flock will always be carrying something or other.

Just something I noticed: if a website advises culling as the solution for all sorts of issues it tends to be an American site... A bit like a neighbour of ours who grew up in the US and whose favourite phrase is 'someone should shoot it...'  ::)

Happy chicking  :wave:

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 10:49:55 pm »
always here to help and I am glad that you have found a soloution, I really hope it works out for you. One question though have you spoken to your vet about it? They may be able to offer some more advice. All the best with everything and I hope that it all turns out very well. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I popped the new hen up to the vet today and I've had a swab sent off to confirm it's what we think it is. I hope it turns out better for my hens (and the odd cockerel) too!

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 10:50:59 pm »
Glad to be of help  :)
I have one flock with both Myco S and Myco G and there's been absolutely no need to cull a bird because of it so don't worry too much. A blood test will confirm if your birds carry it, and it costs under £30 depending on the vet / lab.
Any flock will always be carrying something or other.

Just something I noticed: if a website advises culling as the solution for all sorts of issues it tends to be an American site... A bit like a neighbour of ours who grew up in the US and whose favourite phrase is 'someone should shoot it...'  ::)

Happy chicking  :wave:

The vet's sent off a swab so we can find out exactly what it is. Will be good to know for sure.

And your neighbour....sounds about right.  :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS