Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs to slaughter- identification question please  (Read 4380 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Pigs to slaughter- identification question please
« on: May 21, 2016, 12:12:49 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of pigs about 7 months old that will big enough to go to slaughter soon. When I bought them they were tagged in one ear already. Is this sufficient for taking them to slaughter or do they need two identifiers? One with our herd mark on?

Many thanks  :wave:

HappyHippy

Re: Pigs to slaughter- identification question please
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 12:24:04 pm »
Check with your abattoir, if they require a slap mark, usually the tag they already have is sufficient to ensure traceability.
Someone who bought meat pigs from me had left it late to get their own tags for slaughter and they were advised by ScotEID that tags with my holding number were perfectly acceptable to use.
HTH

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 08:58:59 am »
ok, lets do the legal first

In England and Wales you come under the Pigs Records, Identification and Movement Order 2011, known as PRIMO 2011, Scotland has an equivalent law.

In England and Wales, a pig moving to slaughter comes under part 3 article 7
In Scotland it is just article 7

In both cases the wording is exactly the same :

7.—(1) No person may move a pig off a holding unless it has—
(a)an ear tag with the letters “UK” followed by the herdmark of the holding from which it is being moved; or.
(b)a tattoo showing that herdmark (with or without the letters “UK”).
Regulation 6(c) states that
(2) A tattoo must be applied either by tattoo forceps, in which case it must be on an ear, or by slap-marking equipment, in which case it must be on each shoulder.

So it needs either a tag or a slapmark of YOUR HERD NO., so the tag previously applied serves no use.

ok so that's the legal position.

A abattoir can impose any trading conditions it wants, and some will only accept pigs with slapmarks, so you do need to check.

In practise, abattoirs don't give a damn about whether the tag or slapmark matches your holding, they only care if the paperwork has the same number as the pig.

It is quite possible that you can send the pig with the current eartag, and it may be fine as long as the number is also on the paperwork.  It is also possible that if the abattoir is having an inspection, that someone will spot the number is wrong, and you pig will be condemned.  You would then pay the cost of slaughter, and then also  abattoir charges for carcass disposal, and you don't get your pig back  You could also be fined.  All probably very unlikely, but I state this so that you know the risk.

If you tag the pig with a second tag with your holding no., you'll be legal, but probably confuse the abattoir, as they'll need to look at both tags to work out what the pig is.  You cannot legally remove the existing tag.

Article 22 in England and Wales states " No person may, unless authorised by the Secretary of State, remove or deface an identification mark"
Article 16 in Scotland "No person may, unless authorised by the Scottish Ministers, remove or deface an eartag or tattoo applied under this Order. "

BUT if it 'falls out' then it does not need to be replaced, and you can put a new tag through the hole that is there. 

However I'd suggest that you buy a slapmarker, and slapmark it.  Slapmarkers are easier to use than eartaggers.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 09:10:01 am by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 10:15:33 am »
I had the same dilemma as you last year and was further concerned if I could use slap mark on an all black pig. Then one last a ear tag anyway so I slapped marked them all and this was fine with the abbatior as it shows on the skin the ear tags turned out to be a bit of a distraction really. But it is all a bit nuts really as you take sheep through on their original ear tags despite moving home several times.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 12:08:22 pm »
The whole system is entirely stupid, with separate rules and separate systems for each species.  But please don't lobby to get them into one, as we'll get the worst of each - passports, double ear tagging etc.

Scotland had a much better system allowing temporary marks to slaughter before the EU insisted they come into line !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 08:20:42 am »
Thanks for all the advice! The good news is the abattoir did take my pigs with one ear tag (not my holding number).

But I do quite like rules so in future I will ensure that they have the right tags for my holding!

Oh its all so confusing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS