Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Intramuscular wormer.  (Read 3325 times)

Toots

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Flintshire, North Wales
Intramuscular wormer.
« on: May 21, 2016, 07:06:55 am »
Can anyone recommend a freely available IM wormer, as all I can find is subcutaneous. I would like to use the slap method of injection and understand that IM is the only type of delivery suitable for slap shot.

I read a post on here that someone used Ivomec with slap shot but when I checked the data sheet found that it is subcutaneous delivery.

Am I missing a trick, or can slap shot be used with subcutaneous delivery? And if so, how do you avoid injecting into muscle?

Thanks in advance.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Intramuscular wormer.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 09:12:21 am »
I am not a vet so you might like to check this with them.  I have done a lot of work involving drug delivery though and the instructions will reflect the technique used in clinical trials to prove the drug use.  Usually (but not always) it makes little difference whether sub cut or IM, the latter may take a few minutes minutes longer to get into the blood stream, so not an issue unless it is intended to have a delayed release effect which the wormer isn't. I'd be more cautious to switch an IM drug to sub cut than the other way round as  most drug release profiles are similar to a child's slide and you may a higher initial burst with sub cut.  Anyway occasionally I've done it the wrong way by lack of concentration I expect a lot of people have !   Really a question for your vet.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 10:59:18 am »
Usually the difference between IM and SC in pigs is the length of the needle. Longer needle goes all the way into the muscle, otherwise it only gets to the fat (subcutaneous). You should be able to use different length needles to suit the drug recommendations.
I think you have it the wrong way round though pharnorth, intramuscular injection usually gets absorbed into the bloodstream quicker and wears off quicker than subcutaneous injection, because the muscles have a good blood supply, but under the skin it absorbs by diffusion slowly.
One problem that can happen with drugs that should be given SC and are given IM is that bruising of the muscle can happen, which can allow things like clostridial bacteria to cause further infections, so you must keep a very close eye on the injection site.
Hope that helps

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 11:53:56 am »
Thanks for the correction, that is why the Vet knows best! 

Toots

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Flintshire, North Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 01:50:51 pm »
Thanks for that, so shorter needles. I've got 25mm but would imagine 10 to 20mm would be more suitable if using with a slap shot but I'll check with the vet first.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 09:20:57 pm »
Doramectin  Intramuscular injection  Indicated for all gastrointestinal round worms, lungworm, lice and mites. The product should be injected in the neck using 16-18gauge needle 2-2.5cm in length. Meat withdrawal: 56 days.

eg

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Dectomax injectable solution is a ready-to-use, colorless to pale yellow, sterile solution containing 1% w/v doramectin (10 mg/mL). In cattle, Dectomax is formulated to deliver the recommended dosage (200 mcg/kg of body weight) when given by subcutaneous (SC) or intramuscular (IM) injection at the rate of 1 mL/110 lb of body weight. In swine, Dectomax is formulated to deliver the recommended dosage (300 mcg/kg of body weight) when given by IM injection at the rate of 1 mL/75 lb of body weight.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS