Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: stolen goose eggs  (Read 3699 times)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
stolen goose eggs
« on: May 20, 2016, 01:25:57 pm »
Hi I went to check the geese today and the three remaining eggs have disappeared. I do have a problem with crows etc stealing hens eggs. Are they capable of taking goose eggs?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: stolen goose eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 03:00:17 pm »
It could be, but it sounds more like rodents to me. Any sign of eggshells anywhere at all?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 05:02:35 pm »
Mink? Weasel? Stoat?  Whatever it is will be fat and burping  :yum:  They would take the whole egg home with them I would think.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 10:47:04 pm »
Possibly a stupid statement but did you really root through the nest? When our geese first started laying they took about a week's 'break' I was checking the nest daily patting it down with my hand. Hubby happen to catch the goose unawares and she jumped off the nest, 5 eggs under her! Now I really root around when I check, down to the ground.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 08:40:17 am »
Fox or badger?  Neither would leave a trace.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 02:05:26 pm »
Possibly a stupid statement but did you really root through the nest? When our geese first started laying they took about a week's 'break' I was checking the nest daily patting it down with my hand. Hubby happen to catch the goose unawares and she jumped off the nest, 5 eggs under her! Now I really root around when I check, down to the ground.

Dans

This used to happen with my granddads geese too. It looked like there were no eggs there but they'd actually buried them right down underneath the straw and down.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 10:35:33 pm »
Mine are being stolen as well. No shell, no signs of any kind at all, in fact.

Thorough rummaging has found nothing, but at least one goose is sitting daily as the nest is warm.  I've had 3 eggs from 2 geese so far this year!  :gloomy:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:57:19 pm »
Glad it's not just me who has fallen victim to hidden eggs. I felt very silly.

If it's foxes or badgers would they only come after dark? Could checking the nests at sunset help.

If I know either of my geese has been sitting for a while I go out and shoo them off the nest to grab the egg. One benefit of being able to see our geese from the bedroom and kitchen lol.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 11:19:24 am »
just a thought pay no attention if tpo silly, but could she be hiding thrm under her wings at all and lying elsewhere and then they get stolen? What are they like to handle? I wouldnt want them to hurt you.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 09:27:52 am »
No wbf she is only concerned with the one goslingbut tthanks anyway

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS