Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eating eggs  (Read 2624 times)

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
Eating eggs
« on: May 20, 2016, 11:06:10 am »
Hi
Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find a post

What do people sell their chicken and duck eggs for to family and friends
I sell chicken eggs for £1 half dozen and have never put price up

Thanks in advance
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Eating eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 11:10:21 am »
Same as you £1 for half a dozen.  I did notice recently that supermarket prices have fallen below that.
I won't ask for more than that because I only sell them to subsidise the food bill rather than try to make any profit.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 01:21:40 pm »
£1 for 6 is the going rate around here,  but I am at the farmer's market in Lincoln tomorrow and they go for £1.20

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 01:23:01 pm »
I pay a lot more for my eggs, £2.50 per half dozen, supermarket prices for free range here per half dozen between £1.25-£2.00
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 02:13:46 pm »
I only sell to cover feed bills as I have rare breeds to and it covers those
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 02:57:31 pm »
yea totally agree, I have hybrids which lay a lot more so less expensive to keep I suppose.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 03:43:38 pm »
I manage to get £1.50 for half a dozen but can sell them to colleagues in a town who want fresh farm eggs. Duck eggs I charge the same as I don't have the same demand for them.
________
Caroline

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 04:45:24 pm »
£1.50 hereabouts.  And as I need to make a living I find it hard when someone else charges less because they don't need the money..  Many of my customers say theyd pay a bit nore because the eggs are so much better tasting/coloured than shop eggs, but I need more egg sales so cant risk any price increase in case i lose some.  Just a thought but if you really don't need to cover costs then maybe give them to close friends and family, no different to buying them a coffee.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 10:06:34 pm »
Madness £1 for 6 the reason why the Brits are so bad at selling produce and farming is in a mess - not doing costings and going with what the supermarket dictate  - shame employees dont do the same to business'. You need to do your sums.  Its 33p a week at feed a hen, 17p for a box, a laying hen will cost say £9 each and only lay for 2yrs (11p), housing, bedding, any meds, messing about moving them, cleaning out, poss labelling on box, time spent selling, overheads of house, run etc.  To us this works out near enough £1.20 for 1 hen per week.  so in essence you are selling to break even which isnt exactly pushing the quality or welfare standards. Its definitely underselling and damaging to the market.  Really dont care what the supermarkets are selling at that is irrelevant you cant compare on welfare, feeding or freshness. Anyone selling £1.20 at farmers market hasnt worked out his figures either as a table costs £20 before you start so needs to sell 16 boxes to cover the table!

£2 for 6, £3.80 for 12 and £8,50 tray.  Pasture raised, organic and delivered to door.  No problems selling them at all once I have a customer they have them every week.

I would say £1.50 is the going rate and is the bare minimum.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 10:30:42 pm »
Just a reminder you are not selling Tesco value eggs 70p yours are much more superior to so called free range - if youve ever had the luxury of going to an egg farm you will be shocked. As for 'Woodland' thats an even bigger joke. A farmer must be receiving pure pittance for 70p a box retail - time they are packed etc thats a complete and utter joke.

Prices today:

Riverford organic £2.35
Sainsburys TTD £2.10
Waitrose organic Duchy £2.43
Clarence Court £2.15
Waitrose freerange blacktail £1.55
The Happy egg (ironic me thinks) £1.75
Sainsburys woodland high in omega £1.80

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 10:41:00 pm »
We've put ours up to £1.70/half dozen this year after being at £1.50 for a while. Before the chickens got going enough to put out any to sell, we had a few knocks on the door from eager customers and I believe they've sold out again as there was a car stopped at the box just a wee while ago.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 12:20:16 pm »
Bantam eggs are better value as there is more yellow in them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS