Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newspaper as a weed supressant  (Read 6533 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Newspaper as a weed supressant
« on: May 19, 2016, 07:35:17 pm »
Had to ponder over where best to post this!  Anyway, here I am ...

For reasons I won't bore you with, I ended up having to plant over 300 willow cuttings in pasture.  All I could manage was an agressive strim before planting and a temporary rabbit fence supported by bamboo cane (latter working so far).  Of course, the pasture (and weeds) is now taking off.  I've accumulated a large pile of newspapers as a weed suppressant and intend to use cut & bent lengths of fencing line-wire as my cheapie option for pegging the newspaper down.  However, any experiences/recommendations please re using newspaper as a weed suppressant? 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 07:44:00 pm by arobwk »

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: Newspaper as a weed supressant
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 08:09:35 pm »
I've not done this myself but I think the secret is to lay it very thickly and keep it wet - also, keep it weighted down if you in a windy spot.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 08:57:41 pm »
Thank you,
Much as I expected, i.e. as thick as possible!  Any thoughts though (anybody) on how long a good wad of pegged-down newspaper might last?  Is it days, weeks or (optimistically) months?  Any further info would be good.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 08:59:33 pm by arobwk »

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 10:07:44 pm »
It should last months  :thumbsup:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 11:17:36 pm »
The way willow grows around here weed suppression would be the last thing I'd worry about. I'd worry more about lots of bits of wire in my field,,,,

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 04:22:19 pm »
Good point about wire in my fields pgkevet!  Unfortunately, though, the shorter cuttings were a bit swamped on last inspection.  (Hand shears used as an immediate fix around the worst affected - oops, 2 less willows, but thankfully only 2!)  I'll make sure to peg in a consistent patterm so that the pegs will be more easily found/recovered when the time comes.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 04:34:03 pm »
When we were planting trees the group had a system of newspapers then a square of hessian, (coffee imported in the sacks which were then recycled for project), then the corners were pushed into the ground with a spade. I realise hessian isn't freely available, but thought you might work on that idea?.
Could you put manure on top of paper to hold it down? I would think a year or two would be enough before willows grow away.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 04:53:06 pm »
You could also weigh it down with woodchip that you can get free from a tree surgeon. It will help to suppress the weeds for longer and will rot down beautifully.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 10:46:51 am »
Charles Dowding uses cardboard so I would suggest paper of at least the thickness of cardboard packaging as used by removal firms. http://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/?s=cardboard

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 05:55:43 pm »
Thank you all for the many thoughts. 

(Happens I have some spare hessian - bought for some lime-mortered walling restorations - might try toeing in some of that, subject to checking back on how much it cost me to buy per sq m !!)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 09:25:34 am »
It might not look so pretty but if there's any chance there will ever be grazing animals on the area and knowing just how deadly wire can be to a ruminant I suggest using anything else - logs, gash wood, bits of brick, old milk or fruit juice containers filled with water ......  The newspaper, if laid at least six sheets thick, should last through the Summer at least.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 11:26:38 am »
Do you have access to lawn clippings? These could go on top of the newspaper in a mulch, help hold the paper down and rot down into the soil over time. Pegging down first sounds reasonable, then gradually take up the wire as you mulch, hold down with something else etc. A bit more work, but at least you can get on quickly with weed suppression and then remove the wire at a more convenient time.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 11:28:33 am »
When I've planted willow in a wet and very weedy area I've used cuttings about three feet long above ground. With their heads above the surrounding competition they've done very well and quite quickly start to shade out the weeds if planted fairly close together. No need for any mulching or ground cover at all. Also keeps the vulnerable young shoots away from the bunnies.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 06:42:38 pm »
We planted willow over 15 years ago and they just took off. I found it is better to trim the tops back every year. they grow so fast to quite a height but do not form strong roots. Our trees must have been well over 5ft in a couple of years from small cuttings. They did not do well in strong winds so I started cutting them back to slow the height down. Did much better and we now have lovely trees.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 08:16:10 pm »
The way willow grows around here weed suppression would be the last thing I'd worry about. I'd worry more about lots of bits of wire in my field,,,,

I'm totally with you ... we have even 'planted' a large twiggy bit of stick to give our hens some shelter which is now growing!

The last thing I would put down is wire!   We have used bits of wool carpet on some other non willow trees which grow rather less vigorously.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS