Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Light Sussex eggs  (Read 2651 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Light Sussex eggs
« on: May 17, 2016, 02:48:48 pm »
Does anyone keep LS here? I have had them for several years and am constantly frustrated by egg size / shape and quality. My first batch were the 'hybrid' type which I sold on. Then I got some really big traditional ones of a different strain and then another batch from another good breeder. It just seems that the eggs are thin, often torpedo shaped or very small.

They are in big grass pens, house is regularly cleaned and treated for mite etc.

Anyone else find this with Sussex? Considering giving up on them to be honest.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Light Sussex eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 03:03:04 pm »
I  believe the Light Sussex was one of the breeds used to create modern hybrid layers and so past breeding decisions may not have been based on maintaining the overall robustness of the breed.  Are you buying in chicks or mature birds?  Eggs get larger and thinner shelled as the hen ages.  Small eggs from a large fowl suggests the very beginning of coming into lay or perhaps having a bantam somewhere in the mix.  You may have more luck with Buff, Silver or Speckled Sussex.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Light Sussex eggs
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 01:00:08 pm »
All have been bought in as POL from 3 different breeders. Just seem to get the same issues with all of them. Possibly the big trad birds I've got would lay good eggs but they seem to lay 1 in Feb then go broody for the rest of the year. Bah. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS