Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: shell-less hens eggs  (Read 2471 times)

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
shell-less hens eggs
« on: May 17, 2016, 08:33:32 am »
For something like five months now two of our three hens (the Warrens, the third is a Speckledy) have been laying intermittently, but invariably eggs without shells - just the membrane/contents. They are fed Farmgate layers pellets, plus oyster shell ad lib, and we've stopped feeding them any other bits like veg etc, so diet should be ok. The birds are all just over two years old and otherwise appear healthy.

I suspect that if we were keeping these commercially they would have been 'moved on' by now, but as they are OH's pets that's not an option.

I can't find any answers or clues from the usual reference sources so has anyone any experience of this or any suggestions?

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
Re: shell-less hens eggs
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 12:32:37 pm »
Thanks for the thouight; unfortunately that site isn't working at present so I'll look at it as/when it's available again.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 03:09:34 pm »
This is a problem usually encountered when the hens are just beginning to lay or coming back into the lay after being broody or moulting - a hiccup in the system while they get back into their egg-laying stride.  The breeds you have were designed to be short-lived, high yielding commercial layers and their systems have probably worked much harder over their lifetime than a native breed in the same timespan.  If they have grit, layers pellets and perhaps some poultry spice that's probably about all you can do from a nutritional point of view.  I suggest collecting the eggs at frequent intervals - if one breaks and they realise how delicious they are you could have an egg eating problem to contend with.

Liz Kershaw

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 03:34:37 pm »
We had this problem with one of our marans - I watched her one day as she walked down the orchard and a paper shelled egg just fell out of her as she walked. This went on for some time until she laid a 'lash' egg (not really an egg, a nasty ball of pus and tissue), then, no eggs at all. Lash eggs seem to be caused by an infection in the oviduct which is not recoverable from in terms of egg laying. Now she has gone broody (hormones up the creek, I reckon) so we have taken advantage and shoved some eggs under her. I doubt that persistent soft-shelled egg laying is due to faulty nutrition, more likely faulty insides.

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 10:05:03 am »
Thank you both, that's a great help.

We've been checking frequently and picking up any part formed eggs as they appear; so far so good. It sounds like we'll just have to carry on monitoring the situation.

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 01:57:36 pm »
Just to add a thought, for what it's worth. It's been suggested from another source that this could be due to 'egg drop syndrome' brought on by stress. I'm not familiar with the condition but on one site I checked it mentioned low flying aircraft as a stress cause.

This is quite plausible in our case as we are in an area that the RAF use for low flying practice by fighters and Hercules transports, and I'm talking 'low' here in the fullest sense - it's not unusual to look downhill into the valley, at the top of a Hercules sneaking round the Hafren forest/valley below us, even at night. This isn't a regular event, but occurs in bouts of activity from time to time and while the Herc is fairly quiet the fighters are most definitely not, though I haven't seen any visible reaction from the hens. 

Does anyone else encounter this?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS