Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milking pygmies??  (Read 5291 times)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Milking pygmies??
« on: May 17, 2016, 08:20:12 am »
Asking on behalf of a friend who wants to get a couple.

Presumably you can milk them, but is it worth it? What sort of yeild would you expect?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Milking pygmies??
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 09:25:11 am »
If you fancy milking a cupful while flat on the ground... or indeed have a high milking stand... unlikely to be worth it.

If you want household quantities of milk (as in a couple of litres per day) Guernseys would be the best.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 11:28:54 am »
I think technicaly British saanans are milkier. 

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 12:54:49 pm »
 :roflanim: It sounds as though a cat may be milkier than a pygmy goat.

Personally, I'd get Anglo-Nubians given a choice, but it's not for me.  This friend wants goats and has set her heart on Pygmies, presumably because they are little and cute. I didn't think they'd be very practical to milk, but I'm not a goat person  (yet: watch this space - I've just discovered homemade goat's cheese  :yum:) so thought I'd better check. She's vegetarian, so the meat angle isn't relevant to her.

A cup of milk may be enough I guess and she's quite small so wouldn't have to bend too far.  ;)

I'll pass it on. Thanks  :thumbsup:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 01:12:55 pm »

A cup of milk may be enough I guess and she's quite small so wouldn't have to bend too far.  ;)
;D

I've been hearing of pygmy crosses that look cute and give a bit of milk?
For pets i go for Toggs, love being brushed and look good  :)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 07:48:34 pm »
...and give a reasonable amount of milk, I believe!

I'll suggest it, but I think her heart is set on wee cute ones.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 07:55:53 pm »
A lot of American literature talks about Nigerian dwarf goats. They are small like pygmies but are milky (not like Saanens or ANs but very rich milk). There are a couple of British breeders if you look, I don't know how reputable they are and if they are actually any different from pygmies!

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 09:07:57 pm »
I knew someone who kept a boer nanny and her bag was massive, she reared her twins till they where huge, would that also be another option? Just a thought.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:55:26 am by Jullienne »
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 10:20:42 pm »
I think she wants little and cute.  Boers are fairly big aren't they?

The little Nigerian ones might interest her: I'll pass that on.  :thumbsup:

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 10:41:30 pm »
No expert but didn't think Pygmies would have milk unless they'd just given birth?  Whereas other breeds wiil keep milking a lot longer.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 05:57:54 am »
How about dairy x angora,
small, usable fleeces and some milk.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 08:39:27 am »
I think I'd be slightly concerned about someone who is basing their livestock choice on 'little and cute'.......

I presume they know enough about the care and welfare of livestock, not to mention legal requirements etc?

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 12:55:50 pm »
No worries.  :thumbsup:

They live on a farm with 600 hill ewes and followers, so obviously have a CPH number and know the regs. And she is also a relief milker for a commercial dairy herd elsewhere.  The goats are just as pets as she's always had a soft spot for them.

For my own information: you presumably need a different flock number for goats if you keep sheep?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 01:07:29 pm »
For my own information: you presumably need a different flock number for goats if you keep sheep?

I have just one for both, but I think it may depend on your local office. I have heard of people having a different number each for sheep and goats.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 02:05:11 pm »
No worries.  :thumbsup:

They live on a farm with 600 hill ewes and followers, so obviously have a CPH number and know the regs. And she is also a relief milker for a commercial dairy herd elsewhere.  The goats are just as pets as she's always had a soft spot for them.

All good then  :thumbsup:

We have one flock number for both

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS