Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our new pooch  (Read 4367 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Our new pooch
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 09:29:32 am »
Very sweet.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 09:50:28 am »
I hope you dont think I am an interfering busybody at all but I was watching a programme about dogs on iplayer (the right puppy for you I think its called) and in it they say about behaviour in dogs that if dogs are continually picked up and stroked and cuddled they develope aggression, very interesting. They said it was the most common in little breeds. Just thought I would share this info. They also do a section about poodles which is very interesting too. :) He looks sooooo cute and fluffy, wish I had one ;D
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 10:43:54 am »
I hope you dont think I am an interfering busybody at all but I was watching a programme about dogs on iplayer (the right puppy for you I think its called) and in it they say about behaviour in dogs that if dogs are continually picked up and stroked and cuddled they develope aggression, very interesting. They said it was the most common in little breeds. Just thought I would share this info. They also do a section about poodles which is very interesting too. :) He looks sooooo cute and fluffy, wish I had one ;D

Yes I watched that programme with great interest and I agree about constant picking up etc can spoil a dog. To be honest, in Jacks case he will get some cuddles from my wife but he's looking as if he's bonded to me as he's out with me around our smallholding most of the day. At just 9 weeks, I aware of him needing plenty of sleep, so currently we go outside, work for an hour then come in and he has a sleep. It gives me a chance to catch up with paperwork that normally I try to avoid  >:( ?. I was milling timber this morning and he was happy to sit in the sun and watch from a distance. I'm keen for him to be comfy with machine noise, tractors etc.
So far so good?  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:46:38 am by blades »
Metal Detectorist

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 10:49:16 am »
Delivery for Jack... His bed has arrived!
Metal Detectorist

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 11:31:14 am »
Jack's bed is very similar to the one Archie has. I know Jack will love his.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 12:56:12 am »
Im glad to hear it he looks like he is settling in really well.  :thumbsup: with everything it sounds really lovely, he looks so cute. I always wanted a poodle are they quite exspensive to buy or are they as much as you would pay for a collie pup?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 02:33:24 am »
My poodle is 4 years old and we paid £450 which is quite reasonable.

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 06:01:35 am »
Im glad to hear it he looks like he is settling in really well.  :thumbsup: with everything it sounds really lovely, he looks so cute. I always wanted a poodle are they quite exspensive to buy or are they as much as you would pay for a collie pup?

We paid £625 for him, KC registered with a couple of champion grandparents. I think with all the poodle mixes happening out there, the price has slowly become high.
Realistically, he could earn himself a good living mating with any young lady to produce a 'doodle' of some kind ha ha.

One thing we noticed while searching... There seems to be quite a few standard poodles available but it took us a few months to find a quality litter of miniture poodles from a home environment. We we able to visit with Jacks mum and dad and saw his siblings. He came from a farming family so was already used to chickens and the like. Some of the so called breeders we contacted about puppies of 8, 9 and 10 weeks old gave poor excuses as to why the mum could not be viewed. Assuming these were connected to puppy farms we gave them a wide berth.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 06:07:45 am by blades »
Metal Detectorist

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 08:23:34 am »
Blades, I notice that Jack has a white stripe. Is he a parti poodle?

As far as I am aware these originated in America and have mixed colours. I was offered one recently,  a farmed puppy, he looked in a real state. He was sitting in a bare crate, with several other puppies, sitting in their own excrement. I would have loved to have him, even if it was just to get him out of those conditions, but the owner wanted £1000 pounds for him and said he would have no trouble getting that.

I hope he and those other puppies found good homes

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 03:15:36 pm »
Hi Bionic

I had a read of the Parti Poodle website and it explains the definition as -
A Parti Poodle, is a poodle that is predominately white broken with irregular patches or spots of a second colour.
Based on this I'm assuming Jacks not one?
Metal Detectorist

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 04:14:01 pm »
Hi Bionic

I had a read of the Parti Poodle website and it explains the definition as -
A Parti Poodle, is a poodle that is predominately white broken with irregular patches or spots of a second colour.
Based on this I'm assuming Jacks not one?

Ah yes, I guess you are right. The one I was asked to buy was white with a black ear and a couple of other spots of black

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS