Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: white line disease  (Read 8535 times)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: white line disease
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 01:25:07 pm »
Absolutely agree! I was gobsmacked when he told me.  The guy in question is a very well respected farrier in these parts as well. 

I'm glad to say, he isn't mine!

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 07:48:38 pm »
Any farrier who doesn't make an owner aware of issues is not worth having back!  Would you rather know you have an issue and get the animal the corrective treatment and prepare yourself for the future?  Or would you rather suddenly land with a problem that came out of nowhere and can't be corrected as you're too late! 

I think it's appalling that trainees are being given such poor advice.

I'm speaking as someone who has done my own farriery for the past quarter century having failed to find a decent farrier in my area who was willing to do barefoot work at the time.  My nags' feet aren't perfect, but they're a lot better since I started doing them, and with the exception of one that was permanently lamed by a bad farrier as a youngster before I acquired it, I've had only one instance of a gravel in all those years.

Trimming feet is not an act of farriery.  What happened to the foot that was permanently lame by the farrier? 

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 07:52:53 pm »

Trimming feet is not an act of farriery...

Fortunately, as it would be illegal to underatke farriery without the appropriate training and qualifications.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 11:06:56 pm »
 :o

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 03:37:52 pm »
After daily cleaning and dressing with zinc sulphate, her feet are now dry and she is sound. My farrier was out a few days ago and commented that what I was doing had worked well and he pared back her sole to give better access.

I'll continue treating to keep on top of it until the seperation has grown out.  I don't think it helped that her hoof walls had been trimmed so short she was mostly walking on her soles.  As they've grown out far more now, I'm not sure if it's my treatment or the growth that has helped most, but at least the seperation is clean and dry now, with no sign of infection.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 05:21:00 pm »
Any chance of a photo? 

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 06:01:57 pm »
This is a "before" photo.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 10:57:27 pm »
Who trimmed the foot? 

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2016, 07:54:44 am »
In this photo? The loan home's farrier. He is apparently well thought of in her area.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 08:47:48 am »
It's neither balanced or level.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2016, 01:26:05 pm »
I'm no expert, but I wasn't very impressed either.  I'll try to remember to take an "after" photo when I go up. Or rather, "during" as the damage is still growing out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS