Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Funny tail position  (Read 3395 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Funny tail position
« on: May 15, 2016, 01:15:37 am »
My heavily in-kid goat has been wandering round with her tail stuck up in the air. I did wonder if she was constipated as I haven't see her poo for a few days, although I don't spend all my time watching to see, but there was a couple of bits attached today so she must be passing some. She has just over four weeks to go.

Anyone got any ideas?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Funny tail position
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 09:19:41 pm »
How far off kidding is she? Her Tailbone will loosen up ready to kid, and some of them will keep their tails up in the last wee while, no idea exactly how long before they start doing this - all goats are different. But I would think that's what it is. I have noticed it in some of mine.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 01:04:25 am »
Four weeks. She is fine in herself and eating well. I've just never seen a tail so upright. Maybe it is due to the kids then. Hope she's not going to be early.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 06:17:38 am »
See if you can get your hand/fingers round her tailbone and how far up. Some of them "slacken off" quite early on.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 11:17:39 am »
She's very funny about being touched anywhere except her head end at the moment. I'll have a go though.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 12:52:33 am »
Success! Her ligaments are very soft and I can get my fingers almost all the way round. Is this normal with nearly four weeks to go?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 06:14:09 am »
I honestly have no idea how early mine have started.... but I have had very early udders (like 6 weeks to go). So I would not worry too much at this stage. As long as she is eating/drinking and getting a good amount of exercise - that's all you can do.

Maybe others have noted this in their goats and been more diligent and written it down? I know I should, as you tend to forget these things...

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 07:43:10 am »
I'm not experienced enough on goat kidding to have observed this but as a human I can tell you I sat on a horse when I was just 12 weeks pregnant and it was already clear my ligaments had softened!  It's all very well for these women who can jump horses over ditches and go home and give birth but my back was like rubber 6months earlier!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 12:15:37 pm »
I did notice one of my girls holding her tail a bit strange, but that was only a few days before.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 06:38:49 pm »
She seems her normal self in all respects although she has been pawing the ground for the last few weeks, clearing the bedding down to bare boards.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 04:52:29 pm »
You sure you've got your dates right?  :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 01:28:30 am »
Yes, she was in season on Christmas Day and so nothing could be done. The next time was 11th January and she was mated then. According to my book that means she is due in four weeks.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 09:28:43 pm »
Was mated the 6th of Dec and then the 15th of Jan so would have delivered if taken the first time but looking forward to what comes. Huelwen bagged up a good 6-8 weeks before she kidded, Rosie bagged up less than 48 hours!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS