Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dealing with a problem bottle lamb  (Read 4888 times)

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
Dealing with a problem bottle lamb
« on: May 11, 2016, 12:38:39 am »
I've got a lamb I found at 3 days old curled up next to its dead mother;

Hes now 5 weeks old, and down to 2 feeds a day but is hardly touching grass, creep or hay...
Any tips to get him to up his intake.
He nibbles and eats shrub leaves - Hawthorne and maple mostly, will also try and die eating rhubarb, but as of yet doesnt really do more than passing nibble at hay.

Hes Tex x Hebtex

He's growing on fine, but simply cant have him round the house anymore, hes buggering the cat and keeping me awake!

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Dealing with a problem bottle lamb
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 08:42:06 am »
Have you had him in the house for 5 weeks? Maybe he needs to go in with the other lambs and learn how to be a sheep.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 08:43:33 am »
Cut his milk down. He should be eating creep by now like it's going out of fashion so I would be tempted to bring him in on straw and get him eating hay and creep rather than bushes in your garden! Then put him out in a small paddock behind electric with a bit of grass.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 11:57:53 am »
Can you rig him up a small pen next to your turned out sheep during the day so he can get used to them over a few days?   Probably worth bringing him into shelter overnight for a while as he won't have a ewe looking out for him the the field.  He'll soon start to copy the other lambs and find their games more interesting than the cat.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 01:17:58 pm »
I agree with the above. He needs to be with sheep if possible other lambs to learn what being a lamb is about.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 11:17:06 pm »
He is with the flock during the day, inside at night as he keeps looking for the bottle after dark and gets himself tangled in wire.

What do people think about a hurdle pen in the field? 2 days in pen with sight of sheep then wean in pen and after 2 days total freedom?

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 11:34:24 pm »
I think I might try something like that in your position... is there any other sheep with whom he/she could share the pen with?

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 09:34:59 pm »
Had to bring him back, penned at 6 and by half 8 the bloody badgers were trying to get in and get him. god I hate badgers.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 10:16:50 pm »
 How frustrating for you. It's so hard to get it right....
We're working on transitioning our twin orphan lambs to overnight outside.... But we do have field shelters to assist, and no pesky badgers!
It may be that you just have to wait until he's a bit bigger a d able to look after himself with the flock - 6 or 7 weeks?
I'm sure there must be others here with some helpful experience of this.....

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 10:33:41 pm »
Try a bit of "tup ration" mixed in with the creep - the molasses in it makes it more appealing.  They don't all conform to what they should be doing.  I've 20 pets this year,  most now off milk but 4 still on the bottle,  one which was a quad is still on the bottle despite being one of the oldest. 

Do you only have the one pet?  He can always come and join my mob for a while :-)

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 02:46:52 am »
Aye - just the one - had 5, but 2 died, 1 fostered and the other (A triplet) ran away and rejoined its mum after 7 days on bottle so I left them as a family (7 days after been taken off the mum took her straight back - and is fine) so just the one little tuplamb.
He's free to a good home.
1/4 tex 3/4 heb.
Sweet, anoying little thing.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 12:13:50 am »
Well an update:

The bugger / spot has now been grass only for a week and abit, he basically started eating and nibbling so I "shock weaned" him over 2 days, to just one feed a day then half a feed.
Hes basically anormal sheep now with one problem...........

After a day or two in the fields, he decides he's had enough and escapes, he can climb walls (Worryingly easily) and squeeze under fencing, he then turns up on roads and houses looking for me... when he sees me he runs full pelt and sits ay my feet............

Any solutions other than putting him in a hurdle pen in a field?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 08:27:31 am »
If he was "shock weaned" at around 7 weeks I'd consider this very young and very sudden - the rumen needs time to adjust to a diet without milk.  He may well be hungry and since you're "Mum" he's coming to find you for some milk.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 09:03:18 am »
I'd take up Old Shep's offer and let him go to someone else. Not that you aren't doing your best I think you have done such a good job he really thinks you are a sheep but he is driving you mad!

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 10:29:58 pm »
Sadly the one I was still bottle feeding suddenly died for no apparent reason (apart from being a quad) so he wouldn't now fit in.  I've weaned mine at 7 weeks as per advice, and as long as they've had access to nibbling straw and creep feed their rumens should cope well enough.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS