Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ******* estate agents!  (Read 17672 times)

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
******* estate agents!
« on: May 10, 2016, 10:07:56 am »
rant time... my apologies...

so we're 6 weeks into our smallholding purchase, and at the same time, nowhere! We offered, had a valuation, and had our mortgage fully approved within 7 working days.... It took 4 weeks to get the bill of sale out of the estate agents, and then it was wrong! We'd made a concession on the freehold of a  very short driveway entrance section for reasons which I can't disclose here. Quite nice of us I think, and made the negotiation easier... This was on the condition that the agents obtain a written planning decision for us on the installation of a 2nd dedicated driveway. In fact the whole driveway-haggle was dreamt up by the estate agent, and it's caused the biggest issue so far. Eventually we settled on a misunderstanding, and the agents are submitted a planning application for us as long as we pay £170... fine. The "misunderstanding" was based on the agent thinking that (after me chasing him) saying "oh yeah, I asked the planner what he thought and he didn't think there'd be a problem" would constitute enough assurance for us to give up a bit of freehold!

then we come to the other condition of sale. We asked during the 2nd viewing that the hedge-less and fence-less boundaries with the village gardens by marked clearly with stake and string to clarify the vacant possesion point. no mention of it in the bill of sale, then a process of ignoring our email questions about it, then a total denial that it was ever discussed this morning!!! argh! I wont go into too much detail for legal reasons but basically there might be an element of "overspill" from one or two of these properties. It just needs outlining properly before we move in.

I just want the estate agents totally out of the picture and for the solicitors to get on with it. Sadly the vendor herself is very old and in a home, and the family members acting on her behalf can only go so far. We have been told this morning that the vendors solicitors now have clear instructions to proceed from the vendor...... I'm totally sympathetic to that delay as it must be a horrible time for the family, but the surrounding estate agent nonesense means I'm furious nonetheless.

I honestly get the impression that this bloke thinks we're either commoner scum, or else incomer scum.

I know it's renowned for being a stressful process, but I would have imagined that the partner of the branch with a bunch of letters after his name could at least find the time to write a sodding email with less a weeks' notice.

</rant>

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: ******* estate agents!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 10:16:52 am »
I am so sorry to hear about this, please feel free to rant away we all need to vent stuff it is bad to keep it all bottled up. I just wish I could help in someway, if you want to talk then feel free to talk to me; I could do with some distraction away from this burning throat and chest anyway ;D Sending hugs to you both and I hope you get it all sorted soon! :hug: :hug:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 10:23:54 am »
Thanks WBF.

I'm fully aware this is a very 1st-world-problem though, so I'm trying not to let it take over life too much... with varying degrees of sucess.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 10:28:31 am »
I sympathise. I could add a whole list of things to your rant but it won't be helpful.

Of course some estate agents are better than others (surely that's the case) but I haven't met them yet.

The whole job of an estate agent is to make us feel greatly relieved when we eventually get into our properties and can forget about them.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 10:33:17 am »
Thanks Bionic - yes it seems that's the way they're heading... I can certainly say that we wont be using that estate agency in the future, so they do themselves no favours really.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 11:45:38 am »
Sorry farmershort...... you mentioned "incomer scum"..... where are you moving into??

If it is as an English person moving to Wales then I have to say that your story sounds about on par of the standard of Estate Agency meted out to English people buying or selling property in Wales.They REALLY don't want us there.......
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 11:51:33 am »
Sorry farmershort...... you mentioned "incomer scum"..... where are you moving into??

If it is as an English person moving to Wales then I have to say that your story sounds about on par of the standard of Estate Agency meted out to English people buying or selling property in Wales.They REALLY don't want us there.......

nothing so controversial as moving to Wales! just Devon!

My other half is Welsh (1st/2nd language depending on when you ask her), so I suspect moving to Wales might be easier!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 01:14:54 pm »
'ere us don't want no bleddy old incomers down 'ere neither!
(just joking!) where in Devon are you moving to? Good luck with actually moving in.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 01:33:25 pm »
'ere us don't want no bleddy old incomers down 'ere neither!
(just joking!) where in Devon are you moving to? Good luck with actually moving in.

thanks, and replied to your question via pm... I don't like posting too much info all in one thread. :)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 02:37:52 pm »

I have to disagree with this .... whilst there are some Welsh and some areas of Wales where this is true ... we moved to Wales 3 years ago and have met nothing but friendly welcoming people ...  the Estate agent included! 

I am learning Welsh and have sheep and cattle so speak the local language in more ways than one!   
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 04:09:08 pm »

I have to disagree with this .... whilst there are some Welsh and some areas of Wales where this is true ... we moved to Wales 3 years ago and have met nothing but friendly welcoming people ...  the Estate agent included! 

I am learning Welsh and have sheep and cattle so speak the local language in more ways than one!   
Completely agree with you there [member=26580]Backinwellies[/member]  it does like you say depend whereabouts. Sometimes people are a little suspicious of newcomers, our village gossiped viciously about us because we never wanted to really be part of the community, although it has taken a long time they seem to tolerate us. I hate to say this but most of them where old people which are not around any longer, sad though end of a long gone era. It isnt just certain places which people cant accept you it is generally all over the world; people dont like change and they feel threatened if you come into their culture and stand out.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 04:18:43 pm »

[/quote]
 and they feel threatened if you come into their culture and stand out.
[/quote]

Yes and so they should .... don't stand out join in ........  make yourself part of that community ... to be honest why move to a lovely rural community and not be part of it.
 We have been here 3 years as so far have done 2 pantos, been choir in 2 musicals, run fund raising events, helped car parking at various events, baked cakes, mended chairs, attended local funerals, visited the sick and lonely etc  .... and yes we do run 30 acre small holding and both work to earn money to keep it too.

opps sorry just realised I've side swiped the tread  :bouquet:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 04:22:04 pm »
my not-quite inlaws are welsh - western end of the beacons.... and not even they would approve of me moving to Wales, so I know which side of the "are the welsh anti-english" debate I'm on!

:)

anyway, this is about whether or not Devonian land agents are anti-berkshirians :)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 07:38:45 pm »
To continue the diversion from your original post for a moment - I am  so with BiW on the welcome in Wales front - but just an observation( or two) on your original points.
Estate agents are the agents of the seller and if fobbing you off with vague reassurances about what the planner might say had worked then really he was doing nothing wrong. I am sure now the solicitors have hold of it all the issues you want addressing will not be ignored and wish you the very best of luck. We had several wrangles before we settled on where we are now and it is still recent enough to recall the stress - vividly.
My other observation, if I may, is this; any down playing issues of 'overspill' by a neighbour is a completely different thing. The vendor must disclose any disputes if you ask about them.  Issues of wandering boundaries can be a nightmare and I think you are absolutely right to want a physical mark on the land so you know what is what.
Fingers crossed for a speedy resolution.  :fc:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 07:38:55 pm »

and they feel threatened if you come into their culture and stand out.
[/quote]

Yes and so they should .... don't stand out join in ........  make yourself part of that community ... to be honest why move to a lovely rural community and not be part of it.
 We have been here 3 years as so far have done 2 pantos, been choir in 2 musicals, run fund raising events, helped car parking at various events, baked cakes, mended chairs, attended local funerals, visited the sick and lonely etc  .... and yes we do run 30 acre small holding and both work to earn money to keep it too.

opps sorry just realised I've side swiped the tread  :bouquet:
[/quote]
the reason I couldnt join into the community was because they didnt want me, in fact they actually prevented it, so I just minded my own business. They have sort of accepted me and my family but it was upsetting having people sneering at us for being different. [member=26580]Backinwellies[/member] if people feel threatened with change I cant help that, they didnt want me in the first place and am afraid that I am no trying to get everyone to like me if they really hate me for being different. I did try and make friends but they just viciously gossiped about me so I thought enough is enough. I just mind my own business, farm, visit friends the people who I have a lot in common with and who appreciate me for who I am :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS