Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feedig and showing hebs  (Read 2422 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Feedig and showing hebs
« on: May 09, 2016, 09:38:01 pm »
Hi guys
 I have entered my first show which happens to be the highland and was wondering if I could get some advice. I have entered 2 ewes as it's my first show so didn't want to enter too many. However I feel my ewes are a bit on the skinny side. I was hoping that you guys could tell me is the best weed to get the ewes bulked up again before the show. They currently have lambs at foot which I know makes it more difficult to put the weight on. Seeing as this is my first show I would be very grateful for any tips or tricks on how to prepare hebs, I know they are meant tot be shown "off the hill" but I wasn't sure if you wash the sheep a month or two before hand and if you guys give them a wee touch up. They are both mature ewes that I have entered in so shown in full fleece with and to be nursing lambs.
many thanks

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Feedig and showing hebs
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 12:42:26 am »
What is said and what is done are two different things  :o  'Straight off the hill' is clearly open to a wide variety of interpretations.

We never washed ours - it spoils the look of the fleece, although the face and legs can be washed.  I don't think anyone does that, but they do give a bit of a judicious trim under the belly or any other straggly bits.  Definitely don't brush or comb the fleece - it's a disqualifying mistake.
Hand shear, as I know you intend to do.  Some showers shear very early in the year, but we found that hand shearing goes through the rise anyway, so they have a good covering of fleece.  However, as yours are mature ewes with lambs at foot they will not be shorn, as you say.  Sometimes the fleece will be matted and will start to lift - just leave it be, but ask Jeff or Vicky or any of the old hands what they advise.  Anyone will help and support you in your first show.
It can be a good idea to oil the horns with a clear horse hoof product a few times in the run-up to the show, but no closer than a week before or they just look plastic.  Some people use black polish, not advised as your white coat will rapidly become black, and your naughty secret will be out.
The old hands will be seen spraying an oil/water mix onto the fleece to make it blacker, but that can come back and bite you, as I've seen sheep with a wet fleece disqualified  :o.  Maybe wipe over the fleece with a clear oily rag to give it a bit of a gloss.
Although Hebs at the Highland are supposed to be shown off the halter I have a feeling this may have changed in the last year or so as the judges up from England are scared of the mayhem which can result.  It's great fun though, the odd bust up between tups, or trying to catch up your sheep after they've run free  ;D.  It's worth halter training your ewes, if only to make it easier to get them from the pen to the ring.
A general tip is to get there well before time on show day, or you'll be stuck in traffic for an hour and miss the show.  Unless you're staying over when it's not a problem.
The show provides haylage which is usually good quality but one year had huge patches of mould once the bales were open - collect your supply early or it will all be gone. One year we had to take in water and grass/wild plants for our sheep as they wouldn't touch the stuff the show provided and their sides collapsed in.

I think I've covered everything, but there is a 'Guide to showing' somewhere on the website.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 09:14:52 am »
Thanks Fleecewife I will have to try and train them then  :-[. I will wait until June before I start that task one of them is from the lanark sale anyway so they were on halters there and I was told they never forget it. Ok thanks, I think I will bring a bale of hay in back of the pick up just in case but I don't think the two girls are too fussy. What if the fleece starts to fall of? I have 2 backup ewes anyway.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 09:58:30 pm »
Remember you have to train them to sit by just raising your right hand  :roflanim:

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 03:08:42 pm »
Haha I wish. They are about to be put on the halter so that will be interesting to watch. Just need to catch them first ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS