Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: If you had your own desert island  (Read 7970 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: If you had your own desert island
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 08:31:00 pm »
without a shadow of doubt I would make it an island for turtles to breed on, with me being shall we say soul protector of them? A safe haven for turtles, one of my favourite animals in the whole world, I have yet to mert one though ::)

Someone needs a holiday  :)
https://blog.virgin-atlantic.com/t5/Our-Places/Caribbean-Conservation-Sea-Turtles-in-Jamaica/ba-p/10574#.VzOIK75xKR4

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 10:26:45 pm »

And I would take my bagpipes. I can't play them well but how lovely to practise without upsetting somebody. Also it would keep the pirates away!

Well if it was a Johnny Depp as a pirate he'd be welcome on my island  ;D
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 07:35:01 pm »
I would be building a raft to escape. my list of things needed to keep animals for food and grow my veg and fruit would be massive. Then I would need my tools. Rather stay at home and just shelter here when it gets too hot.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 09:18:45 pm »
I would be building a raft to escape. my list of things needed to keep animals for food and grow my veg and fruit would be massive. Then I would need my tools. Rather stay at home and just shelter here when it gets too hot.

You lack imagination.. or youth. Given the youth and energy of times past, a nice tropical island with coconut, breadfruit, mango, lychee etc and importantly a good stand of large bamboo and you start to get going.. find a heap of shells or limestone and you make your own cement, gunpowder..no problem, specially if you have a bat cave or enough time to fill a few barrels of urine. A nice waterfall for power.. Some steel and basic tools would be nice 'cos that does get harder to DIY..

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 10:31:16 pm »

Only if he comes in character.  I stayed up to see him on Graham Norton last night, and I wish I hadn't bothered.  I know the man can articulate; he does it in all his film roles.  On the chat show however he was almost incoherent.  Not sexy, not one bit.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 09:06:13 pm »

Only if he comes in character.  I stayed up to see him on Graham Norton last night, and I wish I hadn't bothered.  I know the man can articulate; he does it in all his film roles.  On the chat show however he was almost incoherent.  Not sexy, not one bit.
Thing is I have noticed that he is actually very shy in real life, he just plays hilarious sexy characters but he isn't exactly quite like that in real life. We expect to see them all like they are in the films which they star in, but in reality they're nothing like what we're expecting, hence the term good actor, i thought he was rather sensible, maybe also very tired too and I noticed he hated it when Graham norton hit the chair button.
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 09:59:17 pm »
Thanks for the reply Pgkevet.
I don't think that I lack imagination or have lost my youth. I gave up a lucrative professional life, sold up and moved to France to live a very activate and simple life. I use all that I have access to , be it sand that I dig from the lake shore in the summer, stone I gather or the timber that I fell for fuel nod building.
Given our climate is probably warmer than yours and we do not have to flee 24/7 shopping or the intense nod persistent pressures of urban or rural life in the Uk I have no need to live on a desert island.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 03:41:18 pm »
Sorry if i sounded at all insulting - that i didn't mean. But your suggestion that a tropical isle would need more resources just tickled me. I looked up where you are and for sure warmer and earlier seasons and more growing options. Personally I'd love a climate where I could harvest tropical stuff - just the beaurocracy and conflict that goes with it when one gets really tropical is sad.
I'm sure you can grow better figs and likely some citrus where you are but bananas, mango, breadfruit, coconut need warmer still.
We also tend to forget how innovative our forebears were... when it was normal to hand-hew stone and timber and DIY mortar and a village would get together to smelt ore and any scrap iron would be re-forged and re-purposed 'cos it was so expensive or hard work to make.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 06:15:31 pm »
A newcomer in our next hamlet has made his forge and accepts eggs veg even bread in multiple payments for his work. Not sure that he has heard of tropical fruit  but he has moved 400 km to live alone in what he tells me is his idyllic life.
Days when you can not gather food or work because of the heat get a bit tiresome and a few hours on the beach or around a pool can also be a challenge when hot.
That said I can understand why some want to move to a desert island.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2016, 07:16:41 pm »
A newcomer in our next hamlet has made his forge and accepts eggs veg even bread in multiple payments for his work. Not sure that he has heard of tropical fruit  but he has moved 400 km to live alone in what he tells me is his idyllic life.
Days when you can not gather food or work because of the heat get a bit tiresome and a few hours on the beach or around a pool can also be a challenge when hot.
That said I can understand why some want to move to a desert island.
Not move merely stay there a few times in a year, an escape point. Where I live its about fitting into the local community which I may have done, but I get rather tired of other people poking noses into my business.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2016, 08:02:12 pm »
Granted that high summer in jamaica can get periods of temps in the 30's and oppressive during the day but islands usually get sea and land breezes to cool things morning and evening. The trick being to pick those times for work and either noon siestas or go spear fishing. Of course a desert island with aircon solves that ;D .

Given time i could probably conjure up the plans for a tall chimney for the draught and some evaporative cooling for the inflow from my handy waterfall....or have day quarters in a limestone cavern: just not the Windsor caves with several thousand species of mosquito and feet thick guano. If memory serves the town of Falmouth (jamaica) had running water before Washington (and is also home to luminescent algae in it's waters. If you dive in at night you get trails of blue-green phosphorescence at your hands as you swim above the bottom layer - 'cos I've done it)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS