Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: If you had your own desert island  (Read 7976 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
If you had your own desert island
« on: May 09, 2016, 09:15:32 pm »
if you had your own desert island to retreat to what would do on it and most importantly what would you take there? let us say desert island discs in real life :)
I would take a deck chair, a cocktail bar and a nice swimsuit and straw hat, I would be able to sit with my feet in the water gazing out to sea as the sun dissapeared into the waves, dreamy I know ;D. Please feel free to comment below, but think carefully. you can take whatever you want.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: If you had your own desert island
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 09:22:35 pm »
I would take a drum kit and learn to play! Loudly! No neighbour's to disturb, it would be excellent. I have always had a dream of being a rock and roll drummer.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 09:49:29 pm »
I know what I wouldn't take - the phone or computer!!!!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 10:41:03 pm »
Bug spray, worm medication, darned good health insurance and a private jet a  gatling gun and lots of ammo... there's lots of nasties in paradise and lots of pirates in the carribean.
I probably mentioned before that I was close to buying a plantation in Jamaica before coming to wales.. had the agreement in one hand and pen in the other. The worries that stopped me was the issue of cost of good healthcare (airfares to Miami and fees), the beaurocratic obstacles and bribe culture to deal with their intervention buying and lacking trust in the care of my dogs through their quarantine system. Paradoxically I wasn't at all worried about the crime culture.. not so much of an issue in a rural community with commonsense prevention and a good jamaican built house is to Cat5 hurricane codes.

WBF - I spent a lot of holidays in Jamaica.. the sunset over Negril beach with a red stripe in one hand.... superb:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 10:49:23 pm »
Bug spray, worm medication, darned good health insurance and a private jet a  gatling gun and lots of ammo... there's lots of nasties in paradise and lots of pirates in the carribean.
I probably mentioned before that I was close to buying a plantation in Jamaica before coming to wales.. had the agreement in one hand and pen in the other. The worries that stopped me was the issue of cost of good healthcare (airfares to Miami and fees), the beaurocratic obstacles and bribe culture to deal with their intervention buying and lacking trust in the care of my dogs through their quarantine system. Paradoxically I wasn't at all worried about the crime culture.. not so much of an issue in a rural community with commonsense prevention and a good jamaican built house is to Cat5 hurricane codes.

WBF - I spent a lot of holidays in Jamaica.. the sunset over Negril beach with a red stripe in one hand....

[member=16228]pgkevet[/member]  it looks superb, feeling rather jealous now! Nice suggestions guys, keep em coming!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 07:14:50 am »
I would take a drum kit and learn to play! Loudly! No neighbour's to disturb, it would be excellent. I have always had a dream of being a rock and roll drummer.

And I would take my bagpipes. I can't play them well but how lovely to practise without upsetting somebody. Also it would keep the pirates away!

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 07:42:44 am »
I would have to be active because I get bored easily. 
I would need a fast boat and a slow boat depending on what mood I was in. I need someone ( a normal human being) to talk to but definitely nobody who has been on the telly - ever!
I would take a dog or three and the biggest, widest grin I have.

.....oh and some tea bags!
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 11:35:32 am »
Desert island?  Hot one?  No way - I'd hate it.  I need trees  :tree: and rain  :raining: and greenery and plenty of space and animals  :dog: :dog: :sheep: :sheep: :chook: :chook: and a veggie garden  :garden: and.......well, Scotland  :idea:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 11:56:18 am »
[member=4333]Fleecewife[/member]  desert island can me any isand you choose it to be, desert meaning deserted ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 12:07:55 pm »
[member=4333]Fleecewife[/member]  desert island can me any isand you choose it to be, desert meaning deserted ;D

I'd still hate it  :roflanim:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 05:03:36 pm »
I'd take all my tools (excluding the electric ones obviously).  And my dog :).

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 08:52:04 pm »
Today I'd just take myself!!
Anne

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 01:40:20 am »
My goats to start with. And then more animals. My best friend and I decided a while ago that if we ever get fed up with our husbands we would get a smallholding together so it could easily be on a desert island. We would need hens and ducks and she wants geese. We'd need a goat shed and sheds for the other livestock and plenty of feed for them and us. A house for us as well, that is big enough for our children and grandchildren to visit - occasionally. And lots of sunshine with rain at night to help our crops grow.

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 12:45:46 pm »
without a shadow of doubt I would make it an island for turtles to breed on, with me being shall we say soul protector of them? A safe haven for turtles, one of my favourite animals in the whole world, I have yet to mert one though ::)
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 04:02:35 pm »
Just Juke  :)

Oh and Milly.
And a knife
And a cigarette lighter
Hmm quite a few things actually!
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS