Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: do I need more than 1 squash plant?  (Read 1884 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
do I need more than 1 squash plant?
« on: May 07, 2016, 03:56:45 pm »
Hello - I have 3 germinated seedlings and would like to pass one on to a friend. Will she get fruit form 1 plant? With courgettes I tend to hand-pollinate from a different plant as male and female flowers appear at different times. Might be the same for squash but might be different. what's your experience?

Blondie

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: do I need more than 1 squash plant?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 05:37:35 pm »
I think squashes can be pollinated by any other type of squash.... You don't have to have two but it would greatly increase chance of pollination to have two

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 08:14:12 pm »
Yeah squashes aren't too fussy about what pollinated them. Your issue might be the substantially lower yield though. On a bad year with a fussy type of squash you might only get a couple of viable fruits per plant.

Depends on the species, weather, soil, experience... Yadda yadda.

Don't expect anything like the cropping level of a courgette!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 09:02:36 pm »
Ours cropped well into October a couple of years ago.  The pigs were glad we grew five plants.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 10:26:01 pm »
can I recommend a variety plz? T&M's butterbush very good for producing vast amounts. I am not sure as to the origional question, I always grow lots and they seem to fo better with many more of them.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS