Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Soy Free?  (Read 2559 times)

shari

• Joined Mar 2016
Soy Free?
« on: May 06, 2016, 10:37:27 pm »
Hiya,

I am looking for soy free organic chicken feed. Any ideas or hints as to where I can find some in Southern Scotland?
Also, have any of you tried feeding soy-free? Are there any disadvantages?

Cheers
Shari

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Re: Soy Free?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 10:48:57 pm »
I dont think this exists as a feed I had one lot that was nearly solely Soya (B&W) but went back to HiPeak and there is organic soya in it.

Its to make up the protein I am not a fan of soya and one of the reasons why we opted for organic is that soya is a GMO feed and we are still awaiting to find out the environmental damage caused by it and soya being one of the most sprayed crops (ironic seeing its GM) I most certainly didnt want any of it in any of my animals food.

shari

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 08:43:31 am »
Sounds like I definitely have to get hold of HiPeak, then! :)

shari

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 01:56:06 pm »
Farmers wife (or anyone else:)), have you seen this? Would be interested to know what you think about this way of feeding.

http://castlefarmeggs.co.uk/?page_id=108
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 02:01:38 pm by shari »

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 09:40:18 pm »
I dont think this exists as a feed I had one lot that was nearly solely Soya (B&W) but went back to HiPeak and there is organic soya in it.

Its to make up the protein I am not a fan of soya and one of the reasons why we opted for organic is that soya is a GMO feed and we are still awaiting to find out the environmental damage caused by it and soya being one of the most sprayed crops (ironic seeing its GM) I most certainly didnt want any of it in any of my animals food.

Thats the whole point of GM crops. They are genetically modified to be resistant to Roundup, so they can be sprayed regularly with the stuff without dying.   
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 10:09:14 pm »
I read through the Castle Farm link some time ago and have incorporated some ideas in my feeding regime.

Mine get a mix of organic wheat and corn, rolled oats and flaked peas (nor organic but GM free), and meal worms as a treat, and they are doing very well. The peas work as a high protein substitute for soy.

One has to keep in mind that free range birds use provided feed in a very different way than confined birds - when free ranging they have a choice on what they want to eat at which point in the day, and mine certainly have their roaming patterns and do not depend on the feeder station that much. They are fit, healthy and laying well.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

shari

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 10:47:10 pm »
Mine are the same. They only go near the feeder once or twice a day.

Where do you buy all the seperate ingredients?

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 12:08:58 pm »
I get it all from our local agri store (Wynnstays) but it took me a while to get it organised.

They stock organic mixed corn but it needed a bit of research on my part and then persuasion to get them to look up what they could order in from their suppliers specially for me. Different merchants use different supply lines and the trick is to find a brand they already do get other stuff from, then it's not difficult to order a few extra bags of something else they don't usually stock. The rolled/flaked products are often better sourced via the equine section.

"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS