Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 sow housing logistics  (Read 2831 times)

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
2 sow housing logistics
« on: May 05, 2016, 04:02:01 pm »
Sorry back with more questions. With the likely imminent arrival of our first two breeding sows I'm looking into their housing. At the moment we have a home-made ark that we've used in the past for up to 4 weaners, thats about 8x5ft, which I think would be a little small for a full size sow.

So, do I need an ark (8x6) for each sow or could they share an 8x8 (with the use of the 8x5 if they want) but I would bring them into our big shed for farrowing? I'm thinking of trying to spread the date of each one farrowing out a bit (using AI) so I don't have two lots of piglets coming at the same time.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:17:46 pm by NethertonSH »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: 2 sow housing logistics
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 04:24:14 pm »
They will certainly share so think big enough for two. I would also bear in mind that AI isn't always easy and works best with a teaser boar in the location, so whilst I hope it is successful for you, there is the possibility you might go down the boar route and need room for him too.

Have your sows bred before?

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 04:34:09 pm »
I haven't decided on which gilts/sows I'm buying yet. I'm going to see a breeder on Sunday and he has them at varying ages (and costs). I'd hoped to avoid having to have a boar but if AI is going to be tricky and I can't find a boar to hire then I'll just have to buy one.

If it turned out I needed a boar what would be the best ark arrangement, two 8x6's?

Thanks.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 06:38:35 pm »
It would be easiest if you could buy them in pig to get yourself started. Or maybe they would take back to serve? Worth asking.

The boar and your girls will be happy all to get in together.

I am no good at measurements so hopefully someone will be along who is. I have a building but 8ft by 8ft seems roomy to me.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 08:07:30 pm »
We picked up a card for " boars for hire" at our local feed merchant ( n Shropshire) so you could probably look into that.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 08:58:40 pm »
8x10 would be ample for a boar and two sows I'd think, I'm sure we had 4 LB's all in one that size. We had two sows farrow next to each other in the shed (they'd been running together all through their pregnancies) and we put them back out together, with their piglets (they were around 10 days old) into a field with two arcs and yup, they ALL piled into one  ::)
Having another arc, 8x8 or 8x10, along with your existing one and the space in the shed should give you enough flexibility. But you'll have to factor in housing the piglets separately for weaning (at least 2 weeks) before they go back alongside the sows, assuming that they are going back, or do you have another area in mind for them?
We tended to bring the piglets back in to the shed at weaning - that way they didn't try to get through/under fences and back to mum. Mum couldn't see them and was quite happy with a bit of space. It's also an awful lot easier to catch weaners in a pen than it is in a field when buyers come to collect ;)
In-pig second parity sows would be the easiest way to start, they'll have done it before so have an idea of what to do when the tine comes. I'm not sure where the closest Tamworth boar would be though - I think there used to be one at the museum of rural life in East Kilbride.......ask the breed club /BPA and do your homework to check he'd be suitable in terms of bloodline and size for future matings - we spent a lot of time travelling for boars after a few failed AI attempts (and we had a teaser boar on site) - you ideally want to make it as easy as possible to breed them, without needing to keep your own boar (lots of extra expense unless you offer him for stud - and that's another post in itself  ;)).
HTH

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 09:35:59 pm »
Lots of great advice there thank you everyone. I'm leaning towards a solway 8x8 pig ark although a bit pricey I'd expect them to last. Our home made one I must say has been great but with 2 daughters under two Id be struggling to find the time to build another.
Sourcing a boar was the first question I asked the breeder that I'm going to buy them from (he's at West Linton). He has a young boar just about ready to start working who is unrelated to any of the gilts he has for sale so I will try and set something up with him to have my sows serviced, at least for the first time. I'm reading a lot of mixed results with AI seems to work for some and not for others.
There doesn't seem to be a huge number of pedigree Tamworth breeders in Scotland.

Thanks again.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 12:54:33 pm »
Good luck!
let us know how you get on - we are considering doing the same as sourcing weaners is getting harder and harder :-(

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 01:16:17 pm »
Thanks I will do! I had read not so long ago (although I think it was an old thread) that too many people were breeding which was in turn pulling prices down but thats the last two years I've struggled to get weaners. Our first year we bought 3 Tamworth weaners (16 weeks old) from the market for £45 each, last year when we went to get our weaners at the market 8 week old Tamworths went for £85 each and this year I can't find any.

If you're near us (Lanarkshire) I'll sell you some weaners when they come along  ;)

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 10:54:31 pm »
I use an 8x6 for two fully grown sows and they fit fine in there. I've also used an 8x8 for boar plus two sows when they're altogether.
One of the cheaper alternatives for weaned housing is old plastic oil tanks which you can pick up cheaply/free and clean in a couple of hours.
I'd think about how mobile you need the arks to be if you're moving pigs around. Some of the very well made ones are great but need towing via the skids as are very heavy. Easy enough in the fine weather, slightly more tricky if field is wet and muddy depending on towing vehicle.
I started  breeding with getting an in pig gilt which was a good way in I  think. I then sent my couple of sows to a local boar. And then several years in I bought a boar (I have 5-6 sows). Keeping him busy is important so if you're getting one would recommend you see if others near you may also be interested so you can loan him out. Sort of a pig share arrangement!
Martha R

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS