Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best place to put incubator  (Read 3031 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Best place to put incubator
« on: May 04, 2016, 07:58:11 pm »
I'm hoping the eggs will arrive tomorrow so our first attempt at incubating can start!
I'm not sure where to keep the incubator though.  The room we'd planned to put it, which I thought was ideal, has got really warm and stuffy today, the weather here has suddenly turned very summery.
We do have a cellar turned snug which stays lovely and cool and is probably the best place from a temperature and humidity aspect but it's only got a small window so would be pretty dark apart from when we are checking on the incubator.
Is it okay to keep it in the dark? Or is it better in the dining room which is bright but gets really warm during the day? We can put it away from direct sunlight but the room does get warm.
Thanks in advance for your input!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Best place to put incubator
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 08:19:52 pm »
Our living room gets much warmer during the day than it is at night but it's fine. I'd be wary of a room that's too cool, I think the manual mentions an ideal ambient temperature. My incubators are on the dining room table, I just need to place a piece of cardboard in front of one in case the sun shines in.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 08:42:06 pm »
Mines in a tiny back room with no windows. It's handy for candling if you can make it really dark it's easier to see what's inside. Reasonably constant temperature will probably give the best results. The main fear is if it  heats up quickly or too much (next to radiator, room with a fire, sun through windows, etc,) the thermostat cut the heat input, but this may not be enough to counteract the external heat. I'd put them in them in the snug.

Temp and humidity changes lot in my living room where i both dry washing and have a wood stove. I wouldn't want to hatch in here.

Was trying to think of other things.... My cat started sleeping on mine when I had it in the hall - kept altering the air vents! One other thing I read on a forum, was someone who lost all their chicks, all killed as hatching by their cat that knocked the thing over to get at them inside, which is very sad, but if it helps, be aware of moggies once they start cheeping.  Good luck!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 09:19:50 pm »
In the kitchen was always where I kept mine. No auto turning, no humidity checks, a spray of water now and then, turned 3 or 4 times a day if and when I remembered and I had good hatch rate. I like to think that singing to them helped!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS