Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: treating mastitis  (Read 3274 times)

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
treating mastitis
« on: May 04, 2016, 07:43:32 pm »
A quick enquiry, and I will call vet tomorrow, but (with continuing run of very bad luck), two twins have mild orf and their mum this evening seemed to be kicking them away, looking uncomfortable and whilst she did let them feed a little they do seem hungry still.... we will try and pen them tomorrow, help the lambs with sudocreme etc (I've read the extensive and helpful orf posts), and offer them a bottle to top up... but wondering how best to treat ewe mum... We have alamycin la but don't know if there's a different ab recommended for mastitis... also not sure if best to also offer pain relief - lambs only two weeks old....
not had to deal with either of these things before so your experiences welcome (something to read through the night!)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: treating mastitis
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 08:55:46 pm »
Look at the post SORE TEATS by womble lower down

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 09:22:41 pm »
Shep you're a gent (or a lady).... Thank you. Thought I'd read everything this week - 'lamb brain'....

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 09:35:15 pm »
 :thumbsup:  father -grandfather -great grandfather  :wave:

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 10:51:50 pm »
Well then, lucky children, lucky grand children and lucky great grand children.... but they'll all know that already!  :wave:

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 11:24:49 am »
A couple of years ago we had lambs with orf and a couple of ewes got mastitis.  From memory, we treated them with Betamox LA and Metacam.  One had extensive damage to her udder so we landed up culling her.  I had another ewe that was less badly affected.  Despite having some lumpy tissue in her udder, she has successfully raised triplets this year. 
Helen

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 12:38:52 pm »

IME the important thing is a quick diagnosis and treatment

Leave it for a day and your success rate drops considerably

If I see any suspect mastitis I catch the ewe immediately and treat with a LA AB plus AB tubes in the udder

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 02:53:44 pm »
Well, ewe has horrid lesion on one teat and beginnings on the other....but no mastitis yet. Vet administered la anti-b (not alamycin), and we gave her some pain relief. Sudocrem on teats - vet happy to keep lambs with her (when they suck they get the cream administered to their little orffy mouths).... And recommends regular applications of cream, and top ups for the lambs.... Seems like we got there in time....

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 07:07:11 pm »
Keep us posted on progress  :fc:
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 07:46:04 pm »
So sorry to hear you have yet more troubles. Sounds like you caught it early. Hang on in there!  :bouquet:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 10:33:25 pm »
Hang on in there. At least we both know now that we're not alone!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS