Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much feed for two Tamworth sows?  (Read 2073 times)

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
How much feed for two Tamworth sows?
« on: May 04, 2016, 01:08:32 pm »
Hi, having previously found and as I'm finding it difficult now to source my weaners for the year I'm thinking about buying a couple sows to start breeding my own. I'm not doing it to make money but would like to at least break even. So I'm looking at my costs.

So my question is how much food does a sow (Tamworth) need per year (in 20kg bags)? I understand that the amount they'll need will differ depending on when they farrow etc.

Thanks in advance.
David 

HappyHippy

Re: How much feed for two Tamworth sows?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 01:34:46 pm »
You'll get through a bag per sow per week and more once they farrow - 0.5kilo per piglet per week for a 6-8 duration twice a year. 10 piglets per litter would see you needing an extra bag every week while they're with mum. You'll also have to factor in feeding for those you're running on for pork after weaning. It mounts up fairly quickly  :innocent:
But roughly 66 bags per sow per year, allowing for 2 litters to weaning.
HTH

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 01:42:43 pm »
Thats exactly the sort of answer I was hoping for! ;D  Thanks! Just need to wait on the quote from Harbro coming back to see if it'll work out or not. I hope so as I'd love to have a couple!

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 03:16:42 pm »
My OH works for Harbro, even with his 10% staff discount we found it cheaper to buy a tonne of sow rolls at a time from East Coast Viners in Stonehaven (they'll even bring a forklift to move it to your shed for you but charge £10 extra)
They delivered down to us no problem (Lesmahagow) and it has a three month use by date. Last time I bought a tonne it was around £280 - they do 25kg bags, so you get 40. If you have a hopper or get it in a bulk bag it's even cheaper  ;)

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 03:32:56 pm »
I had a friend that worked for Harbro and he got me a better price and they gave me the same price last year even after he left. Saying that, the price you've got from East Coast Viners is a good bit cheaper than what I've been paying, I'll get in touch with them, thanks for the heads up! How does the contents, protien % etc. compare to the Harbro food? I guess its good enough otherwise you wouldn't use it.

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 12:29:51 am »
I liked it better for traditional breeds, the protein in the sow rolls is 16%. The Harbro feeds that i was quoted for were a higher %age - more designed for getting optimism growth from commercial type growers I felt. The traditional breeds don't really need the extra protein, I found that it just converts to fat.

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 11:15:49 am »
I did find that last year that the Tamworth LB X we had got too fat on the Harbro feed. The pure Tamworths we had the year before did OK on it but we were quite strict with their rationing. I'm quite happy for them to grow nice and slow.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS