Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lost my cockerel!  (Read 2588 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Lost my cockerel!
« on: May 04, 2016, 12:12:34 pm »
My wheaten marrans cockerel is gone!  >:(

Got him from mojocafe, who I believe got him from Victorian farmer as one of the imported eggs. Pretty damn cross!

Not convinced was a predator/fox as not a feather out of place anywhere, and all hens are fine. He was big, fast, in rude health. How can he just disappear!? Even if been run over by postie there would surely be feathers?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Lost my cockerel!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 12:15:17 pm »
I hate to say this but perhaps he was stolen? Or went for walkies and someone picked him up? You never know what some people are like, So sorry to hear this and I hope that he hasn't kicked the bucket at all, that would be horrible  :(
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 12:32:27 pm »
Yeah, just put this past my husband... Hard not to consider this as a possibility, but we live so far away from other people, and not near a road.   I need to get my cameras back up.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 01:34:15 pm »
How long has he been missing for?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 03:54:51 pm »
Definitely here Friday, (just about ran into my legs as I let out the other girls). Don't remember seeing him Saturday or Sunday, husband convinced he woke him up crowing early Sunday morning, but I'm not sure. Looked in hutch Sunday night and he wasn't there, but I thought maybe he was in one of the other hutches. But not  :(

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 05:18:52 pm »
The dear of him! Don't give up hope yet, I had a cockerel went missing for weeks and turned up fit and well. (I suspect a neighbour had a hand in that!) Hope you see him again soon, it's the not knowing that is upsetting.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 07:01:58 pm »
The dear of him! Don't give up hope yet, I had a cockerel went missing for weeks and turned up fit and well. (I suspect a neighbour had a hand in that!) Hope you see him again soon, it's the not knowing that is upsetting.

Really!?! That's odd!
I'll give it till the weekend and then put the hens up for sale there's four of them. We don't eat a lot of eggs at the moment, so just a couple of hens would be enough for us.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 02:48:02 pm »
I posted recently of one that wandered off and then was found 3 months later, having survived on a big south Lanarkshire hill on his own.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 08:10:35 pm »
Oh no! :o
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS